Tough end to a great season

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I just got back from a three-week vacation.  I was in Australia when we beat CU and in New Zealand when we played for the conference championship.  I listened to the first quarter on my headphones.  Then I decided that I wasn’t going to let this ruin my once-in-a-lifetime trip to New Zealand, so I turned it off after the first quarter.  I have heard and read much about the game since.  Oregon was the best team on this day, but I don’t think they are the better team.  Look at the NFL – a team will beat an opponent by 21 points one week and lose by 17 three weeks later.

A lot of things affect the outcome of games.  I have no idea why our defense played their worst game of the year.  Oregon is good, but not that good.  If the ball would have been spotted correctly on the Utes first drive and we would have scored a TD – could the momentum have been much different?  What about the overturned targeting?

The bottom line is the Utes have some great talent, but did not play their best.  We always want to blame something or someone.  We lost and that was hard to stomach even from 7000 miles away.  Oh well, life goes on.  I was just 30 miles away from the Volcano that killed many people in NZ a week ago.  That is sad and it was great to see the people there in Tauranga rally around in support of the people on that ship.

Thanks to Ute players and coaches for a great season!  Congrats to all the players who received AA and PAC12 honors.

Go Utes

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Blackmon was making play after play at the beginning of the game. He went out, quickly his backup was hurt. As a result, we saw several long chunk plays by Oregon that our free safety would have played a huge part in but was missed by other safeties. Oregon’s MVP safety was forgiven for targeting in the first quarter.

Huntley’s bad pass into the end zone was picked, Oregon’s two bad passes into the end zone were dropped by Utah defenders.

The game looked and felt like a beatdown. Reversal of either of the two above and it is a different game. But we lost in dramatic fashion. Sadly, Oregon will be more difficult to beat next year.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Tough end to a great season