Transfer Portal comings and goings!

Viewing 5 reply threads

Zigziggler
      Ute Fan
      @zigziggler

So far heard a lot about who is going via transfer portal… Barnes, Howard etc. Any whisperings of who is coming? Looks like LB, WR, CB, QB, OL. Needs a veteran or new presence. Any thoughts?

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

I don’t think we’ve ever had more to work with in the portal/NIL. We will do well and pick up pieces that fit what we need. QB, WR’s, etc. I’m excited about the possibilities that I’ve heard about.

Should be a good few weeks in this first cycle imo.

Zigziggler
        Ute Fan
        @zigziggler

Love the enticing juicy cliffhanger! OnlyU, thanks much respect!

Zigziggler
      Ute Fan
      @zigziggler

Transfer Portal Goings so far…
      Darrien Stewart-S
      Makai Cope-WR
      Bryson Barnes-QB
      Owen Chambliss-LB
      Jocelyn Malaska-CB
      Justin Medlock-LB
      Faybian Marks-CB
      Kenzel Lawler-CB
      Jadon Pearson-S
      Mack Howard-QB
      Nate Johnson-QB
      The only concerning person here in my opinion is Medlock and QB situation. All unproven QB depth and really thin in the LB room. The rest were depth pieces/potential pieces.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

It’s college free agency.

I can’t help but think some of these players are getting “fired”.

It’s sad to think that 50% of the players entering the portal don’t find another place to play.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/03/politics/ncaa-college-sports-at-risk-nil/index.html

Will here you go. The Power 4 feel they can tear college sports athunder, however, that can’t happen from someone other than them. Actually, I agree with them.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

With Laumea receiving the Sr Bowl invite he is almost assuredly gone. Those guys usually get drafted.

Expect we’ll need to replace him and possibly one other up front. WR, QB, OL, RB, DB in that order for me.

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

I didn’t see safety on that list…. Vaki? Bishop? Both!? 😤🤯

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

Can someone explain to me why the portal process starts before the bowl games? Why not wait until after the bowl games to open it? Doesn’t having the portal open before just encourage more players to skip their team’s bowl games? I don’t get it.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

To get kids enrolled in spring semester

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

Because if you wait until after the bowl games, you’ve also waited until after most HS recruits have signed. And the HS recruits want to know who is at their program and the coaches want to know what holes they have. So they’ve shoehorned the portal in before early signing day.

Meaning that December (and late November) is the busiest month for a coach. CCGs, bowl games, playoffs, and important games down the stretch. At the same time they’re finalizing their recruiting class and also trying to work the transfer portal.

The obvious solution would be to move signing day back to February…but so many kids want to get a leg up and start a semester early, enroll in the spring. Which is why the early signing day is where it is

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Not disagreeing, hopefully adding on.

The smarter move for any kid is to sign a scholarship agreement instead of Letter of Intent. But the 5 minutes of fame that come from a commitment ceremony blind most kids. A scholarship agreement is binding on the school. An LOI is binding on the kid.

Moving signing day back to February would not change kids enrolling January/March depending of the school term. The logistics of enrolling early and under scholarship don’t change. And it is actually the coaches who wanted the early signing period so that they could already have kids locked up to a binding LOI and then fire whichever coaches recruited the kids. Of course, coaches are as affected as the rest of us by the law of unintended consequences so they only looked at one aspect instead of the larger picture. And now they complain that the early signing period, shocker, is creating more problems than it ever intended to solve.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Transfer Portal comings and goings!