UFN is down again? (12-28-16 edition)

Viewing 19 reply threads

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Seriously though is it? I like checking both sites to see what is going on in the world.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

Yep. It’s down.

hnoseguard
      Ute Fan
      @hnoseguard

If only there was an alternative site with most of the same posters that was actively managed and has never had even a single outage. . .

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Like I said, I check both and try to participate on both. Both have their plusses and minuses.

hnoseguard
          Ute Fan
          @hnoseguard

My original reply may have come off harsher than I intended, but I meant it to be dry sarcasm. Chalk it up to not having my morning caffeine yet. Go Utes!

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

There’s nothing sarcastic or wrong about stating facts my friend. I have my own, very high powered dedicated server for my sties.  My uptime is better than amazon’s.  UteHub has never gone down.  I will knock on wood now.

ironman1315
              Ute Fan
              @ironman1315

And long by utehub reign as the best of the bunch, which it is.

Jumpmasterute
        Ute Fan
        @jumpmasterute

hnoseguard. That got a Chuckle out of me. 🙂

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

In the gummermint, UFN means Until Further Notice.   UFN down UFN

96GradAlum
        @96gradalum

LOL … how apropos 😀

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Timing of the latest outage is perfect for killing the audience. On the day of a bowl game, really?

Jesus how hard is it to pay the bill. Really, really hard, apparently. This is a case study in holding on too long. Thank you Tony for setting this up. I havent posted much because I’m currently in the wrong time zone but I’mreally hoping the migration continues.

AZswayze
        Ute Fan
        @AZswayze

It’s frankly pathetic. How many people have reached out to help or outright buy the site, yet nary a peep from Monkey. In my farewell post there I mentioned that I thought it was strange how somebody wouldn’t want to protect an income stream, and this just makes me think the problems are rooted deeper than I imagined. Regardless of his personal issues though, how difficult is it to pay your hosting bill when the ad revenue surely far exceeds it? After the third round of charity and the last time Ufn went down I lost all sympathy. Now, I hope it just goes away so the holdout posters will finally migrate here for good.

MV
      Ute Fan
      @midnightversion

I haven’t posted there since the last time it went down. These technical issues along with Chris’ attitude and “fundraising” have almost permanently driven me away. I don’t intend to be a regular there unless he sells it or makes a dramatic change in the way he runs it.

I mostly lurk here. This has become my go-to site for Ute news.

Newbomb Turk
      Ute Fan
      @newbombturk

It is very aggravating. I don’t think it can be saved. Every time it goes down, fewer and fewer people get back on when it finally comes up. The average number of people logged on is about 30. It used to be about 100. Oh well…..

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

As I’ve mentioned previously I think as web technologies progress the outdated and hack code of UFN could mean its demise sooner than not paying the bill. Most of those “500” errors are typically bad code or misconfiguration of the server. It’s a death race between the two I guess.  Unless it is completely redone I estimate it will go down more and more often until it simply does not come back up.

The “logged on” number could be fudged. It’s an old forum trick.  The session length can be lengthened so that it looks like a user is logged on but hasn’t been on the site for hours.  

Anonymous
      Inactive

It’s Bowl Game Day and UFN is down. Say it ain’t so. Is this the 999th cut from the death by a 1,000 cuts?

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I love ufn but I’m afraid it’s demise is imminent if it hasn’t already happened. Man, that site used to be hoppin’! Now sometimes it goes over half a day without a single post.

I hope this site grows and grows. It’s very well run and moderated and very welcoming. Maybe some of the old ufn vets who disappeared over the years will discover this and sign up.

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

We just need to make this site hoppin!!

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

I made this post there last night.  “Of all the deaths in 2016….It’s this website [UFN] that I’ll miss the most.”  I didn’t think that post would be a death blow.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

That is too bad. There was a question on Twitter as to whether the site should be sold, and unfortunately the answer is “Yes, in about 2012. And the code needs to be significantly updated beyond El Jefe’s circa 2004 Cougarboard software.”

Oh well, the Chat function here is great and the info and ability to actually have a discussion is more readily usable.

Great job, Tony! You got this site up and running just in time. Saw a need, filled the need, life is good!.

uteman12
      Ute Fan
      @uteman12

Ute Fan is deeply outdated and it’s amazing to me why everyone hasn’t converted to Ute Hub.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

(first post here)

Tired of the outages at UFN and finally just joined this site.

Hopefully this site can grow as the bigger the audience, the more valuable a community it can become.

Maybe UFN can survive, but going down on the day of our bowl game is really not a good thing.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

(first post here)

Tired of the outages at UFN and finally just joined this site.

Hopefully this site can grow as the bigger the audience, the more valuable a community it can become.

Maybe UFN can survive, but going down on the day of our bowl game is really not a good thing.

Welcome!  Thanks for posting and joining the site.  HELP the site grow by participating and inviting your friends.

12PAC
      Ute Fan
      @12pac

Utah Athletics deserves a good site. Let’s make this that site. Cheers Tony and Happy New Year everyone. Let’s hope for a strong finsh to a troubling Utah Football season.  

Anonymous
      Inactive

We’ll know that UFN is truly dead when the traffic on the Political board takes off here.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

I participate in discussion both here and on UFN, but I’m beginning to give up on UFN. This is now my go-to site for Ute discussion. Monkey has really let that place go to s**t and there is no reason to support it anymore. He hasn’t done anything lately to garner our support, whereas Tony has done an unbelievable job here and it gets better all of the time.

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

Big Z
        Ute Fan
        @bigz

That’s Kara responding to those questions, she has control over his account.

hnoseguard
          Ute Fan
          @hnoseguard

Dare we ask why his ex-wife whom he hates with the intensity of a thousand burning suns, has complete control over the site’s twitter and facebook pages?

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Dare we ask why his ex-wife whom he hates with the intensity of a thousand burning suns, has complete control over the site’s twitter and facebook pages?

Seems like a valid question. 

Anonymous
            Inactive

Given the clusterf**k that UFN is, he’s probably laughing over the fact that she got it and thinks it’s worth something.

IanFaith
      Ute Fan
      @ianfaith

I’ve tried to be patient and loyal, especially as Chris has clearly had his share of struggles, but I’m done. Deleting UFN from my bookmarks. Good luck to whoever the hell ends up with domain.

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

Sadly, I’m afraid the inevitable outcome for UFN is that, one day, the site will go down and won’t ever come back up again and all that great Utah sports discussion history will disappear forever.

It’s a sad thing to think about but, unfortunately given the state of the site owner’s circumstances, a likely conclusion.

As for me, I’ll keep dropping into UFN from time to time until it’s demise, but my main source of Ute discussion will undoubtedly be UteHub.

mokus
      Ute Fan
      @mokus

I don’t know what the big deal is.  I have to avoid my wife a few days a month.  I can live without UFN for a few days every month.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I don’t know what the big deal is. I have to avoid my wife a few days a month. I can live without UFN for a few days every month.

Do you ever fear your wife will never come back from, um… that bad place? That she’ll stay there forever?

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

It’s still down.

Fascinating.

hnoseguard
        Ute Fan
        @hnoseguard

Jim

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Dammit Jim I’m a web developer not a doctor… Oh wait.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc UFN is down again? (12-28-16 edition)