Use of ‘Ute’ name & Symbolism

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProvoUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @provoutefan

This is an excellent article. Luke Duncan leaves 0 ambiguity about how he feels.

Link to SL Trib article

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Do you ever hangout with any of the Osmonds? I was always sad about the one who couldn’t sing.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Nice. It drives me nuts when people who have nothing to do with the Ute tribe speak for them. I like these highlights:

“It undermines tribal rights, it causes conflict between native and non-native communities, and it negates our ability as a sovereign nation to make appropriate decisions for our people.”

Especially this one:

“Let us be clear. Only the Ute Indian Tribe can speak for itself. And regarding the matter at hand, the Ute Indian Tribe encourages the University of Utah to use our name for its sports programs.”

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

all you have to do is take a trip to the Uintah Basin and you will quickly realize how the tribe feels about their association with the UofU. You don’t even need to get out of your car or speak with anyone, it’s totally obvious driving by at 65 mph that they are proud of the association with the University of Utah.

If you actually did bother to get out and mingle with the locals, you would notice a rather large portion of Ute tribal members proudly wear UofU gear.

Just don’t bring up BYU, that won’t go over well.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Now that right there is how you write a takedown.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

What a FANTASTIC piece.
      Love this.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

This is the appropriate way to tell a paternalistic SJW to f**k off:

“We are a sovereign nation with an absolute right to self-determination. The Athletics Naming Agreement was ours to make, and it’s grounded in mutual respect. We will not accept efforts of non-natives, who do not know the history or understand the work we have done, calling for its demise.”

Mead’s editorial was as racist as it gets, trying to infantilize the Ute people and tell them they have no right to self-determination, and agency. I’m glad they shoved his drivel right back down his throat.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Use of ‘Ute’ name & Symbolism