Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

Utah as a B1G expansion target

Welcome Big12 Fans and Foes Forums Misc Utah as a B1G expansion target

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Central Coast Ute
      Participant

I guess his source is USA today. Personally, I haven’t heard this anywhere else.

ProudUte
      Participant

I support this! I’m not saying that I think it will happen, but it would be great if it did.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I would definitely support it. If it happens, it won’t be any time soon. I also don’t think it will be to the B1G per se. My belief is that everyone will officially quit their leagues, and they’ll create one league with the teams they want. Meaning Vandy, Purdue, etc will be gone.

belli1976
          Participant

I would LOVE this. Grew up in Big 10 country. Living in Portland, Oregon now. And would be able to go to games up here.

Although, I think we would be mid to lower tier team initially. But if we continue the trajectory like we did in the PAC we will develop into a mid to upper tier team.

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

Agreed. I live in California and would be able to attend games when they play USC and UCLA.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

This is from Drake C. Toll… he’s got to create daily content in order to maintain his job. I wouldn’t place much importance on it. But, as you say, how this ends is big names leaving their current conferences and creating a new, by invitation-only entity. That’s the only real way to avoid protracted litigation.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

I’ve been following this channel since the point that Utah decided to join the Big 12. One thing that irks me? Toll’s constant reference since Day 1 of CKW as “Crazy Uncle Kyle” as if Kyle is some semi senile guy that just blurts out stuff and isn’t in possession of all of his faculties.

Utehomer42
        Participant

Yeah that is what surprised me, it’s not like Whit decided to yell at a bunch of reporters to test his manhood unlike other Big 12 coaches 😒

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I’m with you, which is why I find this hilarious. Whitt has been in the game long enough that he knows people who know things. Nothing Whitt has said has been wrong. What’s funny is this guy has been dunking on Whitt for speaking only the truth, and now there are reports coming from outside of Utah, and it’s not just about Utah, but also TCU. So, like you said, he has to speak about it for content and it’s killing him so he has to throw in the “crazy uncle kyle” remarks and then say he doesnt think it will happen. He even says he doesn’t think anyone would leave the B12 because it’s a weaker league. Why does he think UT, OU USC, and UCLA left their weaker leagues? This kid is weird indeed. I think he’s mad that Utah is the new kid but already in B12 title conversations. It kinda blows up the stupid narrative that the P12 was a weak league.

I personally dont see anything happening right away, but when the dust settles, most of the B12 will be in a bad spot, but Utah will be in a good spot.

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

Utah is eating the Big12 cake and faces zero consequences if they leave for Big10 cake. That isn’t saying it is a done deal because anything can happen.

Uteanooga
      Participant

His opinion that no one in the B12 would leave for the B10 is entertaining. I am not sure who the B12iest of all B12 teams is, but I am fairly certain that they would leave the B12 for the B10 without needing more than a few moments consideration.

Is there a single B12 team that would turn the B10 down? I think not.

EagleMountainUte
        Participant

The way Utah structured the deal to join the Big12 is absolutely to leave if offered a better deal.
        Even in comparison to Oregon and fUCLA deals to join the big10. It is so obvious Utah is playing the long game to leave potentially. It comes down to media markets. Utah has one of the larger ones to negotiate with.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

That was a ridiculous statement by him. There isn’t a team in the B12 that wouldn’t leave if invited to the B1G. They wouldn’t consider anything at all. They’d say yes immediately.

EagleMountainUte
          Participant

Well it makes you wonder who he is shoveling his bulls**t to that is all.
          Opinions are like assholes etc etc.

Utah#1
      Participant

There have been a few reports about B1G expansion that have mentioned interests in Utah, TCU, FSU, Clemson, Notre Dame.

Uteanooga
      Participant

Once you get past 20 or 25 programs, you are comparing a lot of really solid places with substantial upside but some warts. Even some of the programs that are dismissed are fantastic. Take Vandy for instance, who many automatically assume would be out with the creation of a new alliance.

Nashville is a fantastic city and Vandy is an elite institution with massive endowment, elite professional schools, and an elite medical system servicing a state with 10m people. I’ve recently attended some track meets there to watch my daughter run and Vandy is a really impressive place. They are completely renovating their football stadium and I have no doubt that it will be a great place to watch a game.

I suppose whether Vandy would be included would come down to whether the alliance would be based on whom university presidents would like to be associated with or which group of programs ESPN feels they can sell.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Vandy’s problem is that it’s a small, elite private school (7500 undergrads) located in a state that’s already serviced entertainment wise by a colossus, the Tennessee Volunteers. Guarantee you that Tennessee has at least three or four times the number of fans in Nashville as Vanderbilt. If you’re a media outfit, why pay twice to cover the same footprint?

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

ESPN and Fox have all the money and will be paying the bills so the presidents will take a back seat to them. At least that’s what we’ve seen so far in realignment. The presidents care about money more. Stanford can say the same things as Vandy except they’re in a much bigger state. They didn’t get invited in this last round either. Doesn’t mean they won’t in the future, but none of what you said really matters in the end. Rice is another example of a fine institution in a good market that has never been included.

Utah#1
      Participant

I believe there is validity to this as Utah has been aggressive in the portal and I hear they are not done yet recruiting more key players. Per Michelle Bodkin, more good news to come!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.