Utah BB

Viewing 5 reply threads

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

just my opinion, Utah Utes should have the best basketball team in the state of Utah period, most of the time. Utah State ranked 14 tspp top twenty, weber state has one of the best players in the state!

6 3

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Unfortunately they simply refuse to win a conference road game and consistently kill the program building momentum

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

This. People on here are shocked that fans are slow to return. It’s hard when you can’t win a decent conference road game. All momentum goes out the window.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

counter-argument: they are a great home team, so wouldn’t fans want to show up and see that?

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

It is a thin line from here to bandwagon fan. One option is to simply wait until the Utes are clearly making a run beyond conference champion, jump in late in the season and enjoy the ride in the tournament. Maybe jump in earlier if the previous season assures future success. Another option would be to enjoy the entertainment level that is available as a middle of the pac when that is the case and watch the buildup to conference contender even when that time to be is an unknown. Since teams not UofA have to take turns to be a contender, there will be stretches that will tax the patience of fans of winning. Maybe a better explanation for my behavior is the Utes, to me, are like teams my kids played on. Some years had their disappointments, others included championships. However, I enjoyed all the teams almost as much as the ones that won a state championship. I love the great games, I know when I am seeing best level basketball, however, I have never attended a Ute BB game and walked out thinking it was a waist of my time. Am I lucky or are my standards too low?

Minnesota Ute
          Ute Fan
          @minnesotaute

So well said, bravo. I cut my teeth in the 89-90 season with 1/2 Majerus 1/2 the guy who later went to BYU women’s program (drawing a blank, should remember). From there, it was an awesome ride through 1998. But since then it’s been a real mix and as I’ve aged and matured, I too just enjoy the games. I enjoy complaining too, but I try to limit it to coaches and administration, not perfect by any stretch, but I try to remind myself that players may be reading this. If I lived in SLC, I would go to every game possible no matter what.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I agree ghost. They just can’t get over the hump on the road. Their lack of athleticism shows more on the road ( defense ). Unable to get stops at the end of games. D Smith helps us offensively and defensively.

Coach Smith needs to get his rotation and players roles figured out. We have the pieces to be better. D. Smith changes Wosters role. Smith is a better passer and can break down the defense with clock running down. Woster needs to be able shoot. Bajema is lost at times. He might play better with Smith at pg. to get him shots. Keba needs more minutes. Carlson and Madsen are solid in their roles. Majerus was the master of utilizing everyone’s talents.

Kellso
        Ute Fan
        @kellso

They need to be better at free throws on the road. After all, they are free throws.

//r00t4Utes
          Ute Fan
          @r00t4utes

Or otherwise known as “impossibly hard throws.”

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

KK’s minutes are limited due to fouls.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

You don’t need athleticism to shoot free throws. You can also make a similar argument when it comes to playing defense. Lack of athleticism is a recruiting thing which lands solely at the feet of our coach. The issues with player minutes and combinations land solely at the feet of our coach.

In Larry’s third season we went 21-12 and made the NIT. In his fourth season, we went 26-9 and made the Sweet 16. I do NOT see that kind of trajectory for coach Smith. I think we could make the NIT this season but there is no way we are making the Sweet 16 in year 4. Not a chance.

In his two and a half seasons his teams have consistently shown their lack of defensive intensity. They have improved their rebounding so I will give credit where credit is due but defense is still a major problem. That is a mix of coaching, scheme, lineups/matchups, athleticism, and player desire and intensity. In today’s game, with the portal, there is no excuse for a program like Utah to lack athleticism. Desire and intensity are both coachable traits. You cannot sit here and tell me that Majerus’s teams had the best athletes but they always had the desire and intensity to play great defense. I don’t see that with Smith’s teams and it will be 3 complete years very soon and the excuses are getting tired and old.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I agree Rick. Teams have gotten more and more athletic the past 5 years. Being able to switch on the pick and rolls and guard multiple positions. Also getting turnovers and offensive rebounds for easy baskets. This team reminds me of a Majerus team. Picking up an athletic wing should have been a priority to go with Smith.

Carlson and Madsen have solid roles. D Smith Bajema and now Woster need to find roles that help the team win. Keba needs to stay out of foul trouble and get more minutes. The pieces are there to make a tournament run. Can Smith utilize the talent remains to be seen. I get D Smith is new and it will take some time to adjust and fit in. It’s obvious to me he is the best point guard offensively and defensively. Worster can help with ball handling but needs to shoot better to play 2 guard. Bajema is a good shooter but can’t handle the ball. No reason we can’t win on the road. I think by the end of the season we’ll know if Smith is a long term coach.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.