Utah ranked #16 in the country with players on opening day NFL rosters in 2017

Viewing 4 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Kyle Whittingham must know more about recruiting than those who like to criticize his work.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-09-07/colleges-most-represented-2017-nfl-opening-day-rosters

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I love Whitt. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is interesting. The Utes generally have been recruiting in the mid-30’s, yet they graduate players to the next level in the mid-teens. They recruit at 6th to 7th in the PAC, yet they’re third in conference with stocking talent at the next level. Ultimately, finishing in the middle of the PAC every year. 

Conclusion?  Utah recruits well and coaches up. Yet, this approach hasn’t taken the program to the top, yet. 

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Another conclusion. Utah hasn’t put a QB into the NFL since 2005? Most top programs have NFL caliber QB’s. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

Agreed. I say it hasn’t taken us to the top “yet” because I think Kyle is building this thing from the ground up. Start with interior lines, then defense, next RBs and finally WRs and QBs. This season should be a culmination of the process. I hope I’m not setting my expectations too high for this year.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

A nation champion has never and will never be built this way. I know you’re not asking why we are not national champions but I’m leading with that to make my point. Every national champion has had a rock solid roster of at least 45 four and five star recruits. We don’t get that level of raw talent, so it must be built. Building talent leaves many holes in the roster that opposing coaches easily exploit. For example, we have NFL great Marcus Williams playing safety and young Cody Barton playing linebacker. We know how that ended.

Anonymous
          Inactive

Good point. I think that the reputation of this program putting young players into the league will eventually pay dividends. We’re starting to see that tide turn now, I think.

bopahull
            Ute Fan
            @bopahull

I wonder if Whit or any other blue collar coach can even find a large number of 5* recruits that are all tha coachable. Most of those kids have had so much smoke blown up their asses that they can’t hear for all the smoke coming out of their ears.

COFfrom83
              Ute Fan
              @coffrom83

which boat in your photo?

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

cfbmatrix

according to CFBMatrix Utah is #1 at player development in college football

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

James Monroe SSBN622

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah ranked #16 in the country with players on opening day NFL rosters in 2017