Utes get a new QB commit for 2020. Duel threat.

Viewing 8 reply threads

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1
      1 8

whitlessham
      Ute Fan
      @whitelssham

His thank you baby Jesus tweet is a classic- LOL! Reminds me of Talladega Nights

Image result for talladega nights baby jesus gif

whitlessham
        Ute Fan
        @whitelssham

Sidenote: He has Safety or LB written all over him

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

Yea, having a top 10 defense every year is a real bitch

8 2

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

What happened to you as a child to make you such a f**king asshole on every post? Your shtick grew tiresome years ago, and it is readily apparent that you are no longer anything more than a troll and a simpleton hack.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

I need to just stay logged in permanently because when I don’t I still see blocked Whittless Manyung posts.

4 10

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Likely a great kid, but definitely not the recruiting bump one would expect after competing for the pac12 championship. 230+ offers and your accepting commits from kids with more FCS offers than G5??? Your not going to continue to compete against USC, UW, Stanford, and Oregon that way.

13 1

Anfernee
        Ute Fan
        @anfernee

I know right!? I wish we had a 4 star stud QB with 3 years of eligibility remaining waiting to compete after Tyler graduates. Oh wait…

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I’ll take the middle ground here. 

I agree with noneyadb and whitlessham that on paper, it seems like a mediocre pickup due to the FCS offers. 

On the flip side, our staff has a proven track record of development and have outperformed to get us where we are today. This year is critical for us. It’s 10-2 or bust. We win the conference and these “high upside” guys become a smaller % of our recruits. 

Lastly, the coaching staff obviously knows something we don’t. Maybe this dude fits Ludwig’s ideal offense, maybe we are just early to offer and did so intentionally, maybe he projects better in a different position, etc.. 

We’ll just have to see how his recruitment plays out. 

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

We have Rising and Marsh is the middle ground. With potential for more.

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

This is true. I really like Rising.

Before my next statement, let me say that I think our staff has done an outstanding job. It does make you wonder, however, how a program like ASU can sign two four star and a high three star qb in the same class and we are signing significantly lower level talent at least on paper. 

For all we know, maybe the strategy is to lock down an insurance policy QB, while targeting the highest level transfer portal guys. I did read that somewhere that Marsh is supposed to be a great kid that just needs a little development to turn into something special. 

I support the move and glad he’s a It’s, but  I can also see why others feel the way they do. 

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Honestly I think ASU makes promises to kids that they can’t keep, like guaranteeing them the starting spot. I don’t think Whitt operates that way either. I think all Utah coaches can do is promise them a fair opportunity to compete for a starting spot.

FtheY
                Ute Fan
                @fthey

That is a very good point. I’m sure a lot of promises are made to recruits elsewhere. 

2 5

whitlessham
                Ute Fan
                @whitelssham

That’s the easy way to throw shade on kwhitt.  If ASU makes promises they can’t keep then 1/3 of the team should be transferring every year- yet transfers is not a problem.

Here are the problems.

1.The state of Utah is a hard sell – culturally.

2. kwhitt’n gang are great at developing taleent but are subpar recruiters. 

Central Coast Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @flip2848

Not throwing shade at Whitt at all. If you dont think promises are made, especially to QB’s, I have ocean front property to sell you in West Valley City.

If you don’t think one of the 4 star QBs at ASU won’t transfer, just wait. It will happen.

If Utah is a hard sell culturally? Why is approx. 1/3 of the Utah football team black? Why is it approx. 1/3 polynesian? Why are 2/3 of the upcoming class black? You have a lot crap to throw around with nothing to back it up.

1 1

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

If it was only a mid tier QB that had committed so far I could fully go along with your sarcasm. However all whopping (3) commits have an average 3 star ranking and the majority of higher ranked players offered show very little interest in playing for Utah.
          There’s a reason why the only teams from the Pac12 to compete for a Rose and appear in the CFP, it doesn’t include the majority of your recruiting class being average 3* players.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Not bagging on the kid at all. His film looks good, needs refining on mechanics but what HS player doesn’t?. I’m more concerned with the recruiting class being on par with UA rather than ASU. Colorado won the South in 2016, their recruiting class for 2015 and 2016 classes were 69th. 2017- 35th, 2018- 52nd, 2019- 45th.

Utah’s been hovering around the low 40’s to mid 30’s. I would expect Utah to have a bump in recruiting as did Colorado.

People wanting to focus on one position is not at all the point I was making. 

Utah’s 4*+ players in 2020

DB’s- 0

Safeties- 0

DT- 0

DE- 1 Tupai if he returns

LB- 2 Lund hasn’t played for two years, Juarez if he clears

WR- 1 Enis

QB- 1 Rising

RB- 1 Wilmore

OL- 2 Olasini, Luamea

This year as stated above, it’s all or nothing. They desperately needed to find a #1 WR and Safety. But for some unknown reason they haven’t yet. 

The recruiting class so far is underwhelming. The kids are talented, and possibly underrated, but is this the route your going for following a season starting off with as much hype as Utah’s receiving?

2 1

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

For a school like Utah, grabbing a four star QB every year just isn’t realistic. Every other year should be expected though. You had Huntley, 4 star per ESPN. Then Shelley, 3 star all around and a solid back up QB. The Tuttle who left but was replaced by Rising. This year, a four star kid would be nice, but a solid 3 star isn’t bad.

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

What do you think it would take to get a 4* guy year in and year out? 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Championships.

FtheY
              Ute Fan
              @fthey

Bingo. It’s 10-2 or bust. If we get it done this year, maybe we’ll land 1-2 guys where we’d normally make a top 5 and miss.

whitlessham
            Ute Fan
            @whitelssham

Better recruiting.  Coaches who can relate better to player outside of the bubble.

ironman1315
              Ute Fan
              @ironman1315

I feel like when you’re not here you sit there in s fat dank corner with interlaced fingers muttering, “Mormons.” As your skeletal rib cages heaves with every gasping breath. Do I have that right?

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Good pickup! Nice film on this kid. He is a solid athlete and will be a good addition to the program.

darklightning
      Ute Fan
      @darklightning

I hear he’s a hellofa gunfighter!

2 1

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Nice!  We wound up beating out Tennessee for another Florida kid!  And a 6-5 one at that!  That’ll amount to good “field vision”!

With Shelley and Rising both being Juniors by the time he enrolls, that should give him plenty of time for himself and the program to get him into the weight room while he redshirts the 2020 season, and do something about that 187-lbs handicap.

Interestingly, Rivals lists him as a pro-style kid…

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/katravis-marsh-236309#school-interests

GO UTES!!!

1 7

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

This guy will never play a down as qb here. No offers from any p5 school. Don’t understand why we are recruiting like were back in the mwc. The transfer portal will be our avenue to better qbs when rising/shelley are gone.

UnicycleUte
          Ute Fan
          @unicycleute

First off, watch the tape. The kid throws a beautiful deep ball. Nobody knows if he will contribute at Utah, but he definitely has potential.

Secondly, he did get a P5 offer from Tennessee. He also had offers from USF and UCF (both respectable).

I think this is a great pickup. I think high 3 star quarterbacks may be the way to go in the future unless we need an instant starter. A 4 star guy is less likely to stick around for a few years to develope.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Tennessee is P5. UCF is actually a great football program.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I love Dennis Ericksen. He opened the FL pipeline. It may be a small pipe, but it’s still open. 😀

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utes get a new QB commit for 2020. Duel threat.