Way Ahead for Utah Football

Viewing 3 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

If Utah football is going to have a winning season this year without any participation from Rising and Kuithe, these are the things that I think need to be implemented:

1. Completely adapt the offense to Nate’s strengths. That, to me, means running some version of a RPO on almost every play. It would only take a couple of hits on the passing game for opposing defenses to be cautious and sell out on every play to stop the run.

2. Use your punter as much as possible. As much as I hate to see it happen, we need to stop taking chances where failure puts an opponent in a great opportunity to cash in. Therefore, instead of going for it on 4th and 3 on the opponent’s 35-40 yard line, we need to use Bouwmeester to pin the opponent as close as possible to their goal line. This needs to happen until Becker is back, at which time you can attempt long FGs again.

3. Develop a strategic squad rotation plan on offense: Constantly rotate healthy players strategically to prevent fatigue and reduce the risk of injuries. Also being utilizing squad depth effectively, giving playing time to younger or less experienced players. I personally would like to see more of guys like Mitchell, Randle or Stanley at the RB position. Are they really really that raw that they can’t even get one or two plays a game?

4. The Return of Brandon Rose?: I’m not sure I understand why Kyle said that Rose’s injury put him too far back in the depth chart to contribute this season. What exactly does that mean? Rose was the presumptive 2nd string QB when he got hurt and obviously knows the playbook. So, why can’t he play if he’s recovered from his injury? Whatever the case, I think Utah’s offense would be helped by having him as the QB if he’s fit.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think you change #1 to:

Pray that Rose gets healthy and quick.

Johnson is a great athlete, he’s a super young and inexperienced QB, and he just ain’t it this year.

If we want to get to 10 wins, it won’t be with Johnson. If we want to get to 8 wins, it won’t be with Johnson. We need someone not named Johnson and Barnes.

Rose is all we have left.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Mack Howard, true frosh.

Xanthis
        Ute Fan
        @xanthis

Rose is healthy and has been for a few weeks. He missed a ton of time though and Whitt isn’t about to let someone that inexperienced play.

AlohaUte
          Ute Fan
          @alohaute

I’m not sure it could be worse though.

Xanthis
            Ute Fan
            @xanthis

It can always be worse. It may not feel like it but it can definitely get worse.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

There is a limit to how much worse though. 7 ppg in conference play means that you have more upside than down at this point.

Example: yes Barnes threw an interception. But I’d rather have one interception in their end than be punting from inside my own 20 4 or 5 times a game.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

I don’t understand that logic. If the guy had won the 2nd string job and is now healthy, why can’t he play? The Utes’ offense is averaging less than 300 yards a game (297.6 to be in fact). That puts them, before Saturday’s games, as the 122nd offense in FBS. There are only 130 teams. So no, it can’t get much worse because another performance like yesterday’s will literally put us in last place.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

It can be surprising how little things can be the difference between wheels coming off and being competitive. Utah’s opening drive stalled on a 4th down, OSU’s drive converted the easy 4th down. Broughton’s missed tackle on 4th and 10 could have turned the start completely around but instead gave OSU important momentum. I also think the injuries could have us in a strange mental place. We continue to have much more than our share and the Fano brothers situation just hurt us. Logan has been playing so well.

I agree with practice for two weeks focused on NJ with maybe 10% Rising and Rose. Maybe watching a train leave motivates Rising but more importantly practice if focused on who will play. It will be interesting when Rising returns, it will be a big plus, but we don’t know when it will be. I expect Rose can develop but missing most of fall camp and the first weeks is tough to overcome. Jackson’s return could solidify the RB

It was nice to see Yas make a catch down field. If their could be a lot of focus on that for two weeks it would be very beneficial.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I like #1.

I think we’re making a cam game plan and throwing in Nate to run it.

Need to stop that.

Lots of zone read and 1-2 read rpos.

I went hard at Nate last night. Now I’m thinking we’re running a Payton manning game plan with a Michael Vick type qb. (I know we’re not dealing with manning and vick so stuff it!(getting out ahead of message board blowback). I know you get the point)

We need to cam to make a run at the title. But Johnson isn’t as bad as last night.

We’re being held hostage by Cams surgeon!!!

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

It’s been confirmed Cam’s surgeon is not the one making the decision, it’s Cam.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Way Ahead for Utah Football