WCC creates ‘The Russell Rule’ to encourage hiring of minority candidates

Viewing 6 reply threads
      1 1

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Bill Russell, the 11-time NBA champion with the Boston Celtics, has endorsed a measure that will make the West Coast Conference the first Division I league to require all schools to include a minority finalist for job openings in athletics, the league announced on Monday.

Backed by Gloria Nevarez, the first Latinx Division I commissioner, and unanimously approved by the league’s 10 presidents, “The Russell Rule” is the hallmark of the conference’s equity, diversity and inclusion platform. Per the new rule, any opening for an athletic director, senior administrator, head coach or full-time assistant coach within the league must include a member of a “traditionally underrepresented community.”

espn.com article

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Let’s go, UteHub. I’d expect far more thumbs down than that.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Although well intentioned, I just can’t believe people think a rule like this, that makes it a requirement to include a person’s race as part of the hiring process, is okay. The best qualified person should be hired, regardless of race, gender, religion, etc. 

On a sidenote, BYU just might have a hard time meeting the requirements of this rule given their requirement for head coaches and athletic directors to be LDS. Now they have to find an LDS person who is also a minority to include as a finalist? 

6 10

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

7 1

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

My advice is to let it go, unless you’re without sin, if you are without then by all means cast all the stones you want.

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

That’s another thing I don’t get.  You can mandate people not be racist and you can’t force love by spreading hate as some tend to do.  

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

There’s the thumbs down. I was beginning to worry.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

These thumbs down aren’t for the Russel Rule like you were originally hoping for. They’re for you. I guess not everyone fits into the box that you try to create for them.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

You’re certainly correct about the thumbs down target. And, I do make boxes. It makes things simpler for me. I’m a bit dim.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I had the same thoughts but when it said minority, and not just Afircan American it became a lot easier for BYU. There are a lot of LDS polynesians and Hispanics.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

True, but even then, how many of those LDS minorities go into coaching of any sport? Tough spot for them to be in. I wonder if this rule will apply to their football team, the one sport which should be the easiest for them to include minority candidates given the high number of polynesians. 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

The rule is they have to interview a minority, not hire one. I wondered about football too but I don’t know how the WCC can enforce it since they’re not part of the conference in that sport.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

Right. But you can’t interview a minority if none apply and BYU won’t even consider a candidate unless they are LDS. So, they’re going to have to accept applications from non-members and/or unqualified applicants they have no intention of hiring. This is one of the problems with rules like these. Forcing people/organizations to give token interviews does little to nothing for promoting the hiring of minorities. In practice, it becomes a hoop to jump through and undermines the minorities that get hired because it creates the appearance they were only hired because of their skin color.

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

Possibly. I can see this being a big problem for them in most sports. Football I think would be the easiest for them since so many polynesians coach, but of course, football probably isn’t bound by this rule.

PlainsUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @plainsute

Right, its going to be tougher for them to hire the next women’s volleyball coach.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

“Latinx”

stonguse
        Ute Fan
        @stonguse

The funny thing about that one is it’s entirely forced and Latinos don’t use or want it to be used.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

“Latinx”

Crazy world we live in, eh?

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Maybe I’m just a dolt, but football this is a non-issue for BYU. All of the other sports this becomes a problem. BYU has had several minority candidates they can claim as final candidates for football. Ken Niumatololo, and of course their current Coach Kilani Sitake.

Where they are really going to hurt is in the non-major sports, volleyball, soccer, etc. And basketball may also be a concern, unless they just place Brandon Davies on the final list each time they need a new basketball coach. TIC

Nick Robinson’s prospects just got better. But how would Stanford look on one of their own coaching BYU basketball?

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

“incude a minority finalist.” 

Minority in what context? Is it skin color only? How does one prove that their skin is of the right shade to warrant qualifying as minority status? Is there a color wheel?

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc WCC creates ‘The Russell Rule’ to encourage hiring of minority candidates