We Better Break Open the Piggy Bank if We Want a Good QB from the Portal

Viewing 7 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

stonguse
      Ute Fan
      @stonguse

It’s just not happening with Cam coming back.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

More than likely. But, now we know what the Utes will have to pony up in 2025 if the team wants a top flight starter.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

At this point, you are expecting Wilson to be your starter in 2025.

1 6

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

YO QUIERO A CAMARON WARD, EL SERA EL JEFE DE LOS UTES EN 2025.

1 4

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

maybe Nate Johnson comes back after learning Barnes will transfer. Do you all want that?

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

We still have Rose, right?

Honestly, we need to recruit better QB’s. It’s as simple as that. We can’t keep recruiting these kids with super high ceilings and super low floors (Jackson, Johnson, Mack).

Wilson seems like a kid with a super high ceiling but also a high floor. We will have Rising back. And if we still have Rose, then we have a really good QB room. And Wilson has an injury, which makes Utah’s life so much easier.

You start Rising, Rose is the backup out of spring ball, you let Rose/Wilson compete during fall camp, and whoever is better is the backup.

In today’s football, that is a pretty good QB room. I don’t even know if you go after a transfer QB. Because they will cost a lot of money and will disrupt the QB room you already have. UNLESS it’s a Cam Rising QB who is ok with sitting a year AND they have 3 years left after this year. Like the Brown kid from Ohio St or Manning from Texas…

But that ain’t happening. I’d rather throw the money at a TE or RB or CB than a QB.

If we could get a S and RB for the cost of a QB, I’d do that in a heartbeat.

7 2

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

This is like your 5th time mentioning transfer QBs for this year. WE HAVE CAM. No Qb is transferring here and we probably aren’t shopping for one lol. Let’s focus on talking about landing transfers from other positions

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

If you’re saying that Utah isn’t shopping for a QB from the portal, I just think you’re wrong. Utah’s QB room going into 2024 is a QB that’s coming back from a near career ending injury, a RS Soph that’s never played a down in an actual game, and a true freshman. There’s also Steve Smedley but I’ve never even seen him. Those guys, and their circumstances, would seem to dictate that another QB with demonstrated experience and potential is needed. I could be wrong but Utah is gambling, again, on Rising being 100 percent and a reasonable facsimile of what he was.

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

Sure, go get one that knows he’s coming in to be a backup.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Well, if that’s the way you sell it, no one is liable to come. I’d put it in another manner to any prospective portal addition. Did you catch OnlyU’s comments about QB being a targeted position for the Utes in the portal?

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

What do you mean by “good QB”? You mean a highly sought after starter with experience? Sorry, that’s not gonna happen. We already have Cam Rising and can’t afford to buy another QB that costs 2 million dollars. Utah’s only has two option at a portal QB. The first are talented, but inexperienced QB’s like Sam Leavitt from Michigan State, who we have been taking to. The second are experienced, but mediocre players that are not good enough to be starters at a top 25 team, but that are more talented than Barnes or NJ. Even an average-at-best QB like Kyle MidCord will be getting offers TO START at smaller P4 teams like Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Mississippi State, etc.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

The top 3 choices for the Heisman this year are all transfer QB’s, and 2 of them were considered busts before moving. Another guy who most of this board thought was terrible before the season (Mertz) completed 73% of his passes this year and had 2900 yards with a 20:3 ratio. Rising may never have gotten on the field if he’d stayed at Texas.

The point is that declaring every QB in the portal as worthless is not accurate. When put it an offense that best utilizes their skillset, many will turn out to be pretty good pickups. It’s just up to the player and new school to properly decide if the kid is/will be a good fit.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Are you asking me? I mean a QB with experience that can provide some guarantee in case Rising goes down again or isn’t effective in his return from injury. I’m talking someone like a Troy Williams…a guy that has legit P5 talent, has some starts in another program but hasn’t worked out in his previous team for whatever reason.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Troy Williams. Man, talk about talent unrealized. If his decision making was half as good as his arm talent, he’d be playing on Sundays.

22Ute22
            Ute Fan
            @utedagoat

Definitely. That man made some beautiful throws, but his vision and ability to make progressions was bad. I remember Darren Carrington being wide open on two separate occasions, both of which would have won us the game. The first was against USC on the 2 point conversion I believe. The second was against Stanford when he was wide open in the middle of the field. Like literally nobody was around him for some reason lmao.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

What about Uncle Rico, he can throw a ball over the mountains; not going to go for $2M.

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

How about this guy than? Gavin Kuld, top JUCO QB in the nation 6’6″ with a freaking cannon for an arm and really good escape ability out of the pocket when the s**t hits the fan.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football We Better Break Open the Piggy Bank if We Want a Good QB from the Portal