Which incoming freshmen will be impact players in 2023

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We just had our best recruiting class ever. Who will be the impact players this season?
      The leading candidates IMO are: Mikey Matthews, Fano brothers, CJ Blocker, Smith Snowden.and Jonathan Hall.
      Logan Fano is sure to get some playing time and I think Mikey Matthews will be in the WR rotation. Based on what I have heard from the coaches, I think Hall may end up being the biggest impact player this season. I hope Snowden and Blocker both get some significant playing time. If an offensive lineman goes down, Spencer Fano could end up being a big-impact player.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Is Hall a strong safety? His video looks like he’s a downhill safety. If so, Utah is potentially loaded at strong safety with Bishop, Vaki (probably his more natural position), and Hall. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I would consider downhill safety and box safety as synonyms for what used to be known as strong safety when teams played with 4 DB’s and ran cover 3 as their base.

Based on Hall’s size, I think he’ll eventually fill more of the Nephi Sewell role as a hybrid LB/S who will line up in a traditional 4-3 look. He’s a little shorter than you would want in a mike but should be able to put on the 10-15 pounds necessary to play LB full time if that’s where his skillset works best.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Mikey Matthews. I think he was there for spring camp which gives him an edge on reps and development and coaches raved about him. 

CP3 was an impact freshman but he also got spring reps. I think Snowden will have the same path (play nickel and outside at first then strictly outside). I heard Tao Johnson was excelling at nickel but he’s only 1 guy to beat out. Vaki played there as well but his natural role is more of a safety IIRC. 

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

John Randle Jr is going to be really good, could see him make an impact this year even with deep RB room.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

Is he related to the John Randle that played for the Vikings?

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Which incoming freshmen will be impact players in 2023