Whit’s presser

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Sorry that I am late with this.  I got one last round of golf in today.

We will be honoring seniors and some underclassmen this Saturday.  He would not say which underclassmen would come out.   He did say that it may be about 8 players.

We play well in RES because of the fans.

Van Fillinger had a season-ending (lower-leg) injury.

We have used five guys in the D-end rotation.  Now we will have four guys.

Nate Johnson did a nice job in the role we had for him.  He was asked if he would be a marquis player at Utah.  He said he has a high ceiling, but won’t project how good he will be.

Was asked if they would be okay at RB.  He said we have to be.  He said no one cares, so we just need to step it up.

Devin Kaufusi has not played as much as he would have liked,  But, he is all in and always positive and a good leader.

Stanford has some tall guys at receiver.  They just haven’t jelled.  They have a good defense and coordinator.  (coach speak)

He was asked about the possibility of SDSU coming to the PAC12.  He said that SoCal is a big part of recruiting so having a team in SoCal in the conference would be a plus.

He said that they hope to have Kincaid back next Saturday.

They had the Nate Johnson package before this week but didn’t use it.  They will monitor how many games he plays.  They want to redshirt him.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Isn’t it four games you can play to keep your redshirt?  

I love Whitts answers to silly questions like the one asked about the RB injuries. Such a no duh answer compared to some coach speak one. “I like ours guys blah blah blah”

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

yes

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

A good plan would be to sit him for Colorado. Then at least you can give him Bowl experience. 

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Double thumbs up for getting a round of golf in before the cold sets in again. This next couple weeks is going to be interesting for Utah football starting with how well Rising performs with his injured knee against Stanford. A lot of passes were high or off the mark especially down field. Is it an injury issue stepping through on his throws? Clearly Rising was given orders to avoid running down field. Hopefully we see sharper throws against Stanford. Status of Kincaid and the RBs. Utes need TT back in the mix and ready to roll by UO. At least make UO prepare for TT. Need UW to beat up UO this weekend.

salty-ute
        Ute Fan
        @salty-ute

I could be wrong, but watching from the stands it looks like multiple times the ball slipped from Cam’s hand and sailed high on him. I wonder if the wet football was the main issue on Sat.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Riley and Mitchell said multiple times that the officials were not wiping the ball. They would just stand over it on spots and substituting. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I love Whitt, but has there ever been anyone say less during an entire press conference than him?  He’s worse than a politician!  Thanks again for providing these summaries, Proud.  You sum them up nicely.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Whitt told my father that he cannot stand the public relations aspect of his job. He loves one on one interaction with people he cares about, but all the other publicity stuff he does was (at the time) his least favorite thing about the job.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

His strength as a coach is not PR.  Meyer was excellent at PR and Mac was good at it too.  But, I am good with KW.  It’s recruiting and on-the-field performance that counts most.

UteBacker
            Ute Fan
            @utebacker

It’s why I like your summaries so much.  It saves me a lot of time ;).

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Whitt seems to have pretty good rapport with the reporters who come to the press conferences, note joking about making up a stat today.  He is a conservative guy so he’s going to keep things close to the vest, not give away anything to the opponents, not going to make brash statements.  Yeah, that makes the press conference kind of non-events, but he does pass on few nuggets of info, such as the rough number of “underclassmen” expected to participate with the COVID seniors.  Underclassmen in quotes because some have been in the program so many years they are earning multiple degrees, etc, but may still have that COVID bonus year of eligibility.

7 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Media needs to ask better questions. 

UtesRule
          Ute Fan
          @utesrule

What is the love affair of constantly ripping the local media? I don’t get it.

4 2

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

/rant:Because they encourage ignorance.

Corporate Media in all its formats now is basically colluding with government to take part in propaganda. Then combine that with social media echo chambers that control us through algorithms…..whole lot of ignorance. 

I prefer long format media discussions. At least that is how I try to digest media now days. I like podcasts, online discussions. 

They do these events with media and don’t even ask tough questions. Or do any sort of investigative work.

Whitt makes a s**t ton of money and look at that special teams. Media is supposed to be adversarial and ask him tough questions how he can’t get consistent kickoff coverage or touchbacks. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Whit’s presser