Who here watched Utah basketball at the Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse?

Viewing 9 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I remember going with my dad to watch Utah basketball at the Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse. The last season was the 1968/1969 season. The Special Events Center (now Huntsman Center) opened in 1969.

I remember watching Jerry Chambers, Tate, Jackson, and McKay play there in the final four season of 65-66. I have fond memories of those days.

Does anyone else have memories of the old fieldhouse?

Link to Wikipedia

beckrich73
      Ute Fan
      @beckrich73

Yep used to go there as a kid with my grandpa and dad. Good times.

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

Long long long before my time but I have fond memories of the fieldhouse as part of my daily routine for a really exciting number of years.

ryynoo
      Ute Fan
      @ryynoo

I was told I did but have no memory of it.

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

Sadly it was before my time. I always thought it would be cool for the Utes to play a throwback game in there once a year, but that’s not even possible now with its most recent renovations. It really wasn’t possible before, but at least when it was still a rec center one could dream.

oc_ute
      Ute Fan
      @ocute

yep. my early memories are a little later than yours. mike newlin, ken gardner, jim mahler. don’t remember the other 2 starters. dennis cook was a 7ft tall bench guy

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Mike Newlin is one of my all-time favorites. He also had a very good NBA career. He was a remarkable free-throw shooter.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I was born in ’69 so no. Jim and Marylin Mahler are family friends. As well as being friends with my folks, Their grand kids went to school with my kids. Small world.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I was there when Jeff Ockel punched the New Mexico center during the game. I go back to Doug Moon and crowd favorite Granny Lash. Saw Merv Jackson play there. Dark and quiet during timeouts and half. No loud music. You could actually talk about the game during time outs.

My dad played for Jim Williams at CSU so we would go to the locker room after the game. Found memories with my dad and brother.

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

I remember how dusty it got in there when things got rowdy. The dirt floor under the bleachers really kicked up some dust sometimes.

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Who here had chemistry in the HEB and had an experience with the ghost?

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

Yep that was a fun time when I was a teen back then……

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Who here watched Utah basketball at the Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse?