Who you hoping will be QB1?

Viewing 10 reply threads

LongDuckDong
      Ute Fan
      @utahdawg

New QB next year. Who are you hoping it’ll be? Can we run a poll or just pipe in with your pick?

I don’t have a vested interest but here’s who I’m aware of…

Drew Lisk
      Cam Rising
      Jason Shelley
      Jake Bentley

I’d probably give it to Cam Rising.

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

Hoping QB1 is Rising because that means he’s better than a 3 year starter from an SEC school that put up good numbers.  However if Bentley gets the nod, I would be excited to see what he can do in Ludwig’s system.  If Shelley emerges (which seems doubtful), we know he can win games at this level.  I heard Whit speculate that Drew Lisk might be done with football.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I agree with you that it says a lot if Rising wins the job, but let’s see…Andy Ludwig coming from the SEC (Vanderbilt) brings in a proven SEC QB transfer to Utah. Cam Rising may be the future but he was scout team the entire year of 2019. Rising doesn’t even know Utah’s playbook…he knows 1/9th of all the PAC 12 school playbooks that Utah played in 2019. Advantage, Bentley IMO

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Rising was scout team because of eligibility. Also, he had months to work with the playbook. I highly doubt he doesn’t know the playbook.

crazyute
        Ute Fan
        @crazyute

So you’re saying Scout team QBs don’t ever sit in QB meetings? All that time up in the box with Ludwig he must have been playing PUBG instead of learning.

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

I’m just saying Rising hasn’t run a play out of Utah’s playbook. Why was lisk#2 in the Alamo Bowl if Rising was available? It’s because Ludwig says Lisk has reps in Utah’s playbook and rising doesn’t. It’s a good comparison to then compare  Jake Bentley who actually threw for 3,200 yards in 2018 and 2,800 yards in 2017. Look, I want Rising to win the job…I’m just saying if I’m an employer hiring, I look at experience pretty heavily.  

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Perhaps they just decided they didn’t want their QB of the future getting injured in a meaningless game.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Rising.  I think Bentley’s ceiling is known and it’s not great.  Rising has potential for greatness.  

2 5

User Suspended
        @a2ute

yep, there’s a reason why Bently hit the transfer portal…Rising as well

Xanthis
          Ute Fan
          @xanthis

3 out of 4 QBs in the playoff were transfers. Sometimes things just don’t work out. Bentley was hurt and SC is smartly going to stick with the starter that is younger to potentially build a team. Rising lost the job to Ehlinger and theoretically would have been a backup his whole time in Texas. 

Not saying either is going to kill it here, just that transferring doesn’t always mean you’re bad. 

User Suspended
            @a2ute

I know. It could be everything you said.  It also could be something else…

I’ll I know is that these other programs had first swing at these QB’s and (for whatever reason) decided to move on with another QB.

Yergensen
            Ute Fan
            @yergensen

One of the three transfers (Hurts) was a known commodity similar to Bentley.  The other two (Burrow and Fields) were unknown commodities/high potential talents similar to Rising.  Here’s to hoping Rising is given the opportunity here and delivers on that potential.

2 1

User Suspended
              @a2ute

hmm, Hurts an elite QB at bama. Bama just bumped into an even MORE elite QB. I will say this, burrow’s would not be sniffing a championship without that oline he has…. does he ever get sacked? 

1 1

User Suspended
              @a2ute

Furthermore. if Rising or Bently where sought after  QB’s, Utah would have had to beat out other top programs for there services.

hoping for the best but I just can’t help but feel Utah is still having trouble attracting a real QB 

Xanthis
                Ute Fan
                @xanthis

Since the portal is so different do reporters know who is going after whom? Asking a genuine question since I have no idea. I can see your point, but I don’t know who, if anyone, was recruiting Rising or Bentley from the portal. 

Also I am far from buying the Rising kool aid. Many of the local guys here can’t scout talent well at all and have a habit of over valuing guys in the program because it’s the team they cover. Kind of have to wait until Spring to see Rising. 

crazyute
                  Ute Fan
                  @crazyute

No they don’t. Only pace is privy to that information.

User Suspended
                    @a2ute

No, I’m not privy to who else (if anyone) recruited these two QB’s. But I do think it’s rational to think if a better program (with a better opportunity) was interested both of them they would have gone elsewhere.

Sorry, but if you’re a QB who’s wanting to get on the NFL radar….Utah ain’t the place.  So yes, I’m a bit concerned about just how good either of the guys is going to be for the Utes.

I know everything is a crapshoot and you just might capture lighting in a bottle… but to think either of these QB’s is Utah’s future is simply nuts. 

Jay
      Ute Fan
      @utahhhh

Shelley moved to defense right?

uteman12
      Ute Fan
      @uteman12

Shelley moved to defense this was announced prior to the bowl game. I think Jake Bentley will start, there is a reason he decided to come in and play for us. He is a 3 year starter from South Carolina and has the most experience of the bunch.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Shelly is going to transfer most likely

User Suspended
        @a2ute

not so sure…

I’m getting this feeling that the Utah backfield will be horrible next year.  He might just get some playing time  

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

If Shelly wants to QB and have any reps at all, likely will need to move to a new school.  If he’s willing to play defense, I’m sure the team can find a place for him.

If anything, he’ll be remembered for the 2018 comeback against TDS.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

I’ll remember Shelley for leading the November charge last year to win the division for the first time ever.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

There’s nothing but a guess at this point. There will be a qb competition starting in spring, and we will see who emerges, Bentley or Rising.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Posted out of sequence in response to Pace above: I may have not been clear. I’m saying Hurts and Bentley = known commodity, not Hurts = Bentley. While I think your assessment of Hurts as elite is debateable (not elite thrower with either lazy or poor footwork) I don’t think his talent compared to Bentley’s is debateable Hurts > Bentley.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Hurts is 100% elite.

Heisman Runner-up, First Team in the SEC and Big XII, Offensive Player of the Year in the SEC. 

If Hurts isn’t elite, then nobody is elite.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Elite athlete: Yes

Elite dual threat QB: Yes

Elite numbers in the OU system: Yes

Elite passer: No

Is he closer to Cam Newton, Dak Prescott, or Tim Tebow?

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Hoping for Rising for reasons already mentioned by others. But I think Bentley gets the job.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

There have been too many second chance guys work out to pass on these guys without spring practice. I expect both to be ready to go next year and the better of the two will be fine. Maybe not all conference QB but good enough to not be the reason we take a step back. We keep worrying about replacing DBs but it keeps working out.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Who you hoping will be QB1?