Why are we complaining about the Big12?

Viewing 8 reply threads
      18 5

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I did not want the PAC12 to dissolve. It makes more sense for us to play in a regional conference. All of these conference realignments are getting out of hand and I hate it.

That being said, we are looking like arrogant fools complaining about our new conference. IMO we should be hoping for our new conference to be very successful. There is NO doubt that they are now the premier basketball conference and I hope we can become a more powerful football conference.

Utah fans on Twitter posting that we will be the elite football team in the new conference sounds a bit like USC or Oregon fans. Do we really want to be those guys? Maybe we end up being the top team in the Big 12 next season. Let’s just do it on the field and quit acting like arrogant AHs.

I hope that someday, football will be separated from other college sports and that we end up in that super league. Until then, I will be a fan of our new conference. There are plenty of teams in the conference that have had great football seasons in recent history, i.e., Kansas State, TCU, OK State, Baylor, UCF, etc.

9 5

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Many of us are complaining because Saturday night will never happen again. You tell me who in this new conference we can be ranked higher than have the same record as, and get this kind of a rub for a win. The answer is nobody. It’s a conference full of teams that need a rub from the other elite conference members to make their seasons on. Well. I am not proud of the arrogance displayed by our fan base, frankly, who cares if we are those guys or not. It’s just Twitter. The team will do the talking on the field or they won’t.

8 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I will never understand why people want group think yet here we are talking about how people express their opinions online?

There is no objectively correct opinion for this but some facts about this new conference suck for fans.

A lot of the fans I know have grown accustomed to not playing TSPP.
      The P12 travel destinations have a lot of easy things to do for the family. They are vacation destinations for other stuff.
      Some of the destinations have ridiculous travel distances that I don’t like. Hopefully no one has to play UCF, WVUand Cincinnati away if you are a west coast team.

So I have some worry with the sustainability of this conference. It feels like a stop gap. I was honestly not enthused about the Big10 either. Too far of travel sucks. Football should have closer travel destinations.

The pac12 was a great conference. Just the 9 game schedule and waning interest in football doomed the conference. So yeah I can feel a little less enthused about it all.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

There is nothing wrong IMO wishing the PAC12 did not dissolve. It was a great conference for us in so many ways. But, it is gone and it’s not coming back. Some of the things (some Ute fans) are saying about their college towns could be said about SLC. I think the college town atmosphere found in places like Waco, Stillwater, Ames, etc. is a lot like Pullman and Corvallis and I enjoy visiting these places. The new conference allows us some great places to visit like Orlando, Dallas, Houston and Morgantown sounds like a great place.

My point is that I hate coming across like the arrogant fan bases we see from Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, USC, etc. I never want to be known as that guy.

1 2

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The same fan bases are saying the same thing about SL. You just don’t see it because you are in your own sphere online. Don’t ever apologize or think less of yourself because of group identity. Sure loads of Ute fans are dumbasses. It’s why we need cops at Utah events.

8 1

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

In a nutshell, because the Pac12 is great and the Big12 isn’t.

The locations, the brands, the schools, the geographical connection. Nothing about the future Big12 is better than the current Pac12, except maybe being closer to the east coast (for some of that alleged bias) and perceived fan support. Also, maybe conference leadership, but we will see.

That said, the fans acting like morons on Twitter/X are, well… morons.

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

Lets just enjoy the ride and have fun — New ways to get where we want to be ..

lgt4141
      Ute Fan
      @lgt4141

I agree on being sad about the downfall of the PAC 12. After the move to the Big 12 was announced I perused the fan forums of a lot of the Big 12 teams. They have way more engaged, passionate fan bases than most of the Pac 12 schools. Because of that I think it will be a much more fun conference as a fan. Having no blue bloods kind of sucks but if Utah can go to the Big 12 and play well like the last few years in the Pac 12 they will still make noise and be relevant. At the end of the day, Go UTES!

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Just to be safe, get to the venues in the Big 12 you want to visit in the next few years. Realignment may move Utah onto a different set after a few years.

1 1

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Why Are we talking about the Big whatever….. We have game day coming this week, still in the run for the pac title game and even potential playoff. Yes, playoff.. Just keep winning.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I’m not complaining about the teams or the universities in the Big XII. No, it’s even worse…I’m completely indifferent to them. I see our membership in the Big XII as a form of purgatory until the real realignment takes place sometime between 2029-2031 and Utah hopefully finds a place in the Adults’ Table. Until then, I’ll keep supporting the Utes, no matter who they play. As Eagle alluded to in his comment, I personally go on vacation with my family to just about all of the current PAC locations and have actually taken close to weeklong vacations in conjunction with an Ute game in the past. That’s not going to happen while we’re in the Big XII, at least for me. I would be interested in finding out if away support for Ute games will wither away once we’re in the Big XII.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why are we complaining about the Big12?