Why not start Rose?

Viewing 8 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I struggle with understanding why we are starting Barnes. I love what Barnes did for this team, and maybe he is the best QB we have today. But, half of our team is gone due to the NFL, portal, and injuries.

This bowl game is not about winning IMO, it is about prepping young guys for next season. If it was about winning, we would be playing Rising and Kuithe because we have learned that bowl games will not affect eligibility.

So, why aren’t we starting Rose? Whitt has said that he is good to go and that it will not affect his eligibility.

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

Are you right? Probably. But I think Whitt appreciates who Bryson Barnes is. A kid who walked on, fought day in and day out for a spot. Filled in twice in the Rose Bowl, at WSU and this season. Is the kid Joe Montana? No, but he is a fighter and a straight up bull dog. Played through broken ribs, worked at Lowes, yada yada yada. When we beat USC, what was Whitt bragging about, winning the game with a pig farmer. He takes pride in this kid. Whitt has a spot in his heart for Barnes, and wants to give Barnes an encore to his college football story. Thats the why, whether it right or wrong is opinion, and Whitt is making the call. I personally admire Barnes for his commitment to this team, wish him the best, I hope he leads us to a win in this game, but also would like to see Rose get some series.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I agree that Barnes has done a lot for this team and I would like to see him go out with a win. That being said, we saw what happened with our offense in 2023 with QBs not prepared to play. (We all know the stories of what happened.) I want Rose to be prepared to take the reigns next season if Cam goes down. He needs as many reps as possible and some game experience would be helpful. But, who am I to disagree with the best coach in Utah football history?

1 1

Utegator
          Ute Fan
          @utegator

This would be my question. They say bowl games are great because you get the extra practices which translates into extra reps for your players. Are we wasting starting reps on a QB who is in the portal instead of giving them to Rising/Rose? Even if Rising isn’t healthy to play, i’d prefer him getting reps over a QB who will be transferring. What is Barnes transfers to BYU? (just hypothetical) we give their future QB more practice?

PNW Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pnwute

I agree that it would be nice to get Rose time and experience. And I hope gets lots of reps in practice and some substantial time in the game. But I view it as a culture thing, too. Bowls are rewards for a season, and Whit wants to reward Barnes. Let him go out as a bowl game starter. He’s sure as hell earned it.

Part of the draw to Utah for many recruits is the family aspect and the team culture. (We obviously can’t compete with NIL or the prestige/exposure of the P2.) I see this as Whit rewarding a tough son of b who gave his all for Utah football while he was here. It’s also a message about what types of things the program values. Whit’s culture is more important that getting extra experience for a guy who will probably be 2nd or 3rd string next year. (Even knowing what we went through with QB’s this year.)

Jim Vanderhoof
        Ute Fan
        @jvhoofs

Good points PNW. I would also add that Rose hasn’t played at all yet. Throwing him in to a bowl game might be asking too much. Northwestern is a big ten program. They would make things really hard for him.

Playing on national tv we need to look like a balanced offense to lure some receivers in.

Brit
        Ute Fan
        @brit1025

I think Rose should get to play. Maybe not start the game, but if it goes well let him take over. While Barnes did earn it over the season he only started because Rose got hurt. Rose earned it before the season so why not put him in and just see how he does for a little bit. While Barnes has been good he got the job out of default. I don’t think it would hurt anything to let Rose get a feel for it because he was the one who earned that top spot.

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

So maybe it will be a “Rose” Bowl for 3 straight years?😀

UofU Fanatic
      Ute Fan
      @uofufanatic

I agree, I’d rather see what rose can do and get him reps.

1 thing I was wondering if job bonuses etc play a role for coach salaries so winning this bowl game could be a money incentive

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

This is not a one or the other thing. Whitt can start Barnes to take a few drives. IF Rose is game ready with enough plays, he should/will come in. After several drives, if Barnes is the better QB that day, you can bring Barnes back later if needed. If we are winning let Rose finish up. There will be many other moving parts around them as lots of players come in and out, especially if Utah is winning. Many substitutions for NFL and portal starters that will involve more than one player. Someone’s feelings will not figure into this game in a way where they feel they need all the snaps. This will be a fun game for players that suit up without pressure.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Does Rose lose his medical redshirt and have to use his regular redshirt if he plays? Honest question. Does Whitt approach him and ask, do you want to burn your medical redshirt? Then, if Rose says “no,” Whitt goes with Barnes.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

No. He won’t lose the redshirt. Bowls don’t harm eligibility or RS seasons at all.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

I’m pretty certain that’s not the way medical redshirts work. Everything I’ve read about the subject explicitly states that to qualify for one, the injury that the athlete has suffered must be deemed as “season ending.” If this was a regular redshirt, then yes, playing in a bowl wouldn’t affect Rose’s status.

J Rocksville
            Ute Fan
            @jrocksville

I read somewhere that they were trying to change last season to a medical red shirt, and this season just a standard red shirt. No idea if that’s actually true or not.

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

Whitt has specifically stated that Rose could play in the bowl game and it would NOT affect his medical redshirt status.

This is probably true with Rising and Kuithe as well. But, there is NO chance of these two guys playing.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

I don’t deny that Whitt might have said that. However, it kind of contradicts the below information from the NCAA:

To qualify for a Division I Medical Hardship Waiver:
              – The athlete can’t have participated in more than 30% of the number of games or dates of competition in their sport.
              – The athlete also must not appear in a contest after the midpoint of the season.
              – The athlete must have contemporaneous documentation from a medical professional that their injury or illness prevents them from being able to continue participating in their season.

Could it be possible that there’s no guarantee that Rose is getting a medical redshirt approval from the NCAA?

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Barnes is playing because he wants to and because Whitt and Andy feel that he gives the Utes the best chance to win. If Whitt thought that a healthy Rose was head and shoulders above Barnes, then it would be Rose playing and Barnes sitting down. In that case, however, Whitt would have to take into consideration Rose losing his medical redshirt. By the way, isn’t Bottari the backup for this game? I haven’t heard anything about Rose playing.

Yes, it would be good for Rose to get some game play but, in the grand scheme of things, I don’t think it really matters much. For one thing, this is an inconsequential bowl game and for another, you’re looking at eight months plus in separation between competitive games. Personally, I think that Rose will get more out preseason camp just before the season.

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

Pretty sure I thought Whitt said Rose is the backup. I could be mistaken though.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

At this point I have no idea what’s going on. During the Locked on Utes program today, JT Westrcill said that Bottari would be backing up Barnes. I didn’t hear any mention of Rose playing at all.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Rose can’t play without losing his medical RS appeal. MRS is not the same as a regular RS.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why not start Rose?