Will Vaki move to the offense full-time?

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

He won’t be moved this season to full-time offense. However, PK and other media members say that Whitt suggested to them in the post game (off the air) that Vaki will get more time on the offense in the coming weeks.

Vaki has proved to be an amazing and versatile offensive weapon. He is incredibly strong and has lightning speed. He is a very good defensive player for sure. But, in this old guy’s eyes – he is better on offense. I don’t see how they keep him off the offense next season unless he would rather play defense. Either way, I suspect he will be playing on Sunday.

A national media guy compared him to Christian McCaferty yesterday. He is similar in style to CM. I like the Utes future next season with a one-two punch of Jackson and Vaki. Vaki can also play the slot. And, if Kuithe comes back – WOW.

By the way, I loved the formation that had both Vaki and Jackson in the backfield together. I predict that they use it this week and Jackson will fake it to Vaki and pass it downfield to Vele or Parks. There are so many things we can do with those two on the field together, that I am sure we will see some new wrinkles against Oregon.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Whitt said it in the press conference. He said it is trending that direction but Vaki also plays a very involved position. Bishop and Vaki are responsible for the calls. They run the offense.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

The Jackson/Vaki backfield is the same thing they were trying to set up with Barnes/Johnson in the Baylor game when they were both in the game at the same time. It’s been tried before with mixed success. I think Florida did it a few times with Tebow and Leak. And WSU has been running some plays with their running QB (Mateer) and Ward.

I had to look it up. Jackson actually hasn’t thrown a pass in his college career. Until he does, I’m not sure if it can be fully effective if the threat of throwing out of that formation isn’t there.

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

Seems like it would be more effective to have Johnson and Vaki back there together. Johnson is speedy and at least presents a more credible threat of throwing.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Agree, but I’m not sure the staff wants to be switching QB’s around anymore. I haven’t heard if Johnson has any lasting issues from the Oregon State game so I’m going to assume that he is good to go. But as long as Barnes is playing well, adding Johnson to the mix could gum up the works. Utah is averaging ~ 160 more yards and 15 points in the last 2 games v the first 5.

Maybe Johnson and Glover get some action in the ASU, Arizona or Colorado games but I think the staff is going to limit the rotation for Oregon and UW since those are almost must haves at this point.

stbone
            Ute Fan
            @stbone

With motion (Money Parks), we will have a very interesting option set-up. Vaki in the FB role, JJ in the QB role, and Money as the pitch man. It would be deadly and unexpected.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Good post proud Ute. Wish Vaki had a twin brother. He is good on both sides. I think for this year we need him more on offense and my previously thoughts were he was too valuable on defense to replace.

He will have to make the decision next year. Too much to ask going both ways. Please Whitt take him off all special teams!! He exemplifies a true team player. He would go until he dropped.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

This is the current poll topic. VOTE NOW!

Oldskool
      Ute Fan
      @gmack

Sione Vaki has definitely been the spark on offense that the Utes have needed. I would love to see him a bit more on offense and maybe a bit less on defense. I think Ritchie, Hall and Allen can fill in more. As for making a decision next year, lets not forget that Vaki has served an LDS mission therefore eligible for the NFL draft in April if he so choses to take that route. I personally would love to see Rising, Kuithie, and Vaki return next year along with Jackson and Bernard. With the O-line returning, the Utes Offense would be absolutely deadly as well as the defense.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I say let Vaki do what he wants to do. There is probably more money for him at the next level at Safety. And playing RB beats the crap out of your body. If he’d rather be a Safety, then do what we did against USC. 10 or so touches in the right spots.

If he wants to move to RB full time, then by all means, be our RB.

But I’d bet he stays at Safety.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Will Vaki move to the offense full-time?