Williams TD

Viewing 6 reply threads

ravensute
      Ute Fan
      @ravensute

It sure looked like Utah let Williams walk in to preserve the clock and have a chance. The TV guy seemed to think it was just a poor defensive formation with no one lined up in the center of the line, but when he went through the initial hole, the attempts to tackle him seemed half hearted at best.

If so, obviously it was the right call (I wished at the time we had just let the punt returner score), but it doesn’t seem like anything Kyle would ever admit. Or maybe I’m imagining things.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yeah I think you’re imagining things!

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

A lot of people think Utah let him score. Makes perfect sense.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Usc commentators were saying we likely let him score. Seems crazy but also makes sense. The score from that close seemed inevitable, so why not give us the most time to get a field goal???

ravensute
      Ute Fan
      @ravensute

Probably – but that’s a huge gap to give a running QB like Williams and then Reid and Vaki just trip over each other and Broughton stumbles w/o much contact and waves his arms at Williams crossing the end zone. The more I look at it the more I think we baited him into running up the middle and then let him score.

Williams TD

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Broughton’s arm waiving looked to me like he was trying to get a holding penalty, which wouldn’t fit with the narrative of trying to let them score.

UtahMan17
      Ute Fan
      @utahman17

tough one. Scalley is tricky enough to do this, but so confident and competitive that id be surprised he forfeit a touchdown from that far away. And i love bryson but it was FAR from a guarantee hed be able to get us into field goal range.

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Yeah, conceding the touchdown there doesn’t seem like the right choice. Holding them to a FG wins the game for you.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

There is no way they could settle for a field goal, they were behind by 5. maybe Utah could have kept them out of the endzone in 4 tries but if they didn’t the clock would have certainly almost expired. Letting them score quickly at least gave us a chance for a comeback.

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

I wondered about it myself. It wouldn’t be something I’d expect Whitt to do but it seems like we’ve had players try not to score so maybe.

With the game on the line would you rather have to face USCs offense or defense for 1 series?

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

It happened in the Baylor game. Glover tried to stay out of the endzone and the Baylor D pushed him in so they could get the ball back instead of letting Utah run out the clock and kick a last second field goal.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.