With all the talent why does USC under perform year after year? My theory.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

Everyone hears about how USC reloads every year with 4 and 5-star athletes. Their class is consistently ranked near Alabama, Ohio State, and other blue blood schools. So why aren’t they consistently getting to the New Years bowls? Well, I have a theory….there is a Ted Talk called, “Super Chickens”, it discusses what happens when you have too many stars on your team. In a nutshell, USC has too many stars and they can’t get along and work as a team. I’m sure it comes down to leadership and that’s why you see Urbans and Sabans of the world be successful. They’ve figured out how to prevent the stars from killing each other. Here is the link to the talk summary. Story of the Super Chickens

“scientists at Purdue University set out to build a flock of successful chickens by selectively breeding the best of the flock. “What should have amounted to a breed of “super chickens” turned out to be a lesson in the world around us. The “super chicken” flock ended up with only three living birds—the unfortunate result of the chickens killing each other off—while the original, “average” flock ended up thriving, plump and healthy. It turned out that the success of the “super chickens” was only found by eliminating the competition, and not by working together—that was the flock’s downfall.”

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

I don’t think you’re wrong, but i think the biggest factor is coaching.

I think this better explains the Tuttle transfer. He got killed by the super chickens.

Utebeam
        Ute Fan
        @utebeam

Agreed. It takes a very special leader that can keep them from killing each other and instead work together. I think you have a good point about Utah and not managing the stars. Kwhitt may not have that leadership knowledge because he’s never really had a bunch of 4 and 5-star guys.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

It’s definitely coaching. Saban can make it work with a bunch of super chickens but USC can’t.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

A lot of SC fans call him “Gomer Helton” for a reason.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Coaching.  If Saban or Meyer coached the Trojans they would win a championship.  Or at least be in the playoff every other year or so.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Coaching!!! I think most college football coaches would be jr. high and high school gym teachers as opposed to titans of industry leading and or building a highly successful business. If Meyer and Sabin were not coaches, they would be highly compensated leaders/visionaries elsewhere. Dan Hawkins? No.

I’m not knocking the profession of gym teachers, but you usually don’t find a gym teacher that really should be CEO of a fortune 100 company or successful entrepreneur. I think it takes this kind of person to coach/run/lead/manage a football program.

In short, I think most coaches are dumb as rocks.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

The common denominator is football. It tends to attract people who aren’t the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. When you get a truly intelligent person in football, they tend to go far. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Same reason the USA Ryder Cup team sucks so often. The sum of the parts doesn’t equal the total. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football With all the talent why does USC under perform year after year? My theory.