You know what I’m looking forward to NOT seeing this season?

Viewing 6 reply threads
      10 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The every-game Troy Taylor triple reverse flea-flicker razzle-dazzle failure.  Yes I know a couple of them worked, but most were horrible fails. Change my mind. 

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

I hear you there. I feel like they were broken up every time, but I don’t have the stats to say for sure. 

I’m all about trick plays, but you have to have some sort of a success rate. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Well there’s the famous Covey TD pass which was great, but for the most part it seems like the plays resulted in lost yardage.

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

Covey to Huntly – TD
          Covey to Fotheringham – TD
          Covey scramble – 20ish
          Covey scrabble – 10ish
          Simpkins overthrow to Green – incomplete
          Covey hit in the back field – loss of 5
          Dixon hit in the back field – loss of 7
          Dixon – gain of 5ish
          Covey – no gain.

All those were in 3 games I’ve watched the last 2 days on pac12 in 60. Seems about 50/50 success. Small sample size though.

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

The two covey throws were money, loved those plays

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

We tend to forget the bad with all that good from 2008. I remember being very frustrated at some weird plays from Ludwig. Every coach has them. Based on situation I get them. With a guy like Covey you gotta use him. 

The part that I wonder about is it must work in practice against Utah’s scout team. So just assuming why they install some of those plays. 

BJA 13
        Ute Fan
        @bja13

I’m excited for Ludwig 2.0.  However, I too remember long sustained drives stalling on random triple reverse/trick plays that seemed unnecessary.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Wasn’t that BJ that did that?

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Depends on what narrative fits your paradigm. Two minute drill with Johnson was a thing of beauty. But we had guys like Brown, Casteel and Reed. Guys who didn’t drop the f**king ball constantly. 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I am ok with getting the ball to Covey with run pass options, hopefully in good situations for success.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I almost preferred those silly trick plays to watching A-Rod run the same failed outside screens behind the LOS on 3rd and 10 every damn game.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I’m excited to not see entire offensive possessions where Moss doesn’t touch the ball. Troy Taylor was constantly trying to prove that his offense was effective rather than following the game plan. That selfish mentality from the OC lost us multiple games.

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

I agree. Although, I think that a reverse should be a normal play-call from the playbook. It keeps the defense from cheating and you have to exploit it if they’re over-pursuing. If the reverse is successful, it forces teams to adapt to it. This sets up the opportunity for a trick play reverse pass. The problem with Taylor was that he never ran a simple reverse; it was always a trickery passing play… The defense knew that if Utah ever ran a reverse, it would be a reverse pass, so safeties and DBs always stayed home.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football You know what I’m looking forward to NOT seeing this season?