I hate the inter Webs!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

So Due to the nature of my work I don’t friend co-workers, UTE fans, etc. yes I keep in contact with old friends and family on Facebook…

So yesterday, due to my activity on this site, Webmonkey shows up as a suggested friend. Nothing against him, but I have no common friends, and realize how good the trackers are when these things happen. This isn’t the first time Facebook has suggested friends based on tracking data from disparate websites and activity. Bastards.

This video is a must watch especially for parents. I hate we have to obfuscate our browsing like a cheater to avoid social media collecting way too much info about us.

1 1

zeous
      Ute Fan
      @zeous

So… perhaps pointing out the obvious, but… what do you think the interNET was created for in the first place?  It was a military research project originally, and is primarly known as the interNET or the world wide WEB. 

What are nets and webs used for?

High Uintas
      Ute Fan
      @highuintas

Get over it. Americans are far too paranoid. As sinister as he tries to make it sound, it’s just a bunch of marketers trying to sell you something. What’s more dangerous, having somebody collect information on what websites you visit or stepping out the front door?

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

My job is to make people paranoid about the threats they face. I do Social Media briefings once or twice a month. Trust me, I’m not ignorant, and probably understand the topic better than most, I just find it troubling that we have to be so vigilant to keep 9 year-old kids from being stalked online. Spear-phishing, social media, are a part of my everyday work life.

This is just the tip of the iceberg my friends. You can complain about the NSA or other programs all you want, but to me the bigger threat is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and data aggregators. You can find anything about anyone online making us less insulated than we used to be. I don’t think the world is more evil than it was when I was growing up, but I do think we are being duped into giving up our right to privacy most times we go on the internet.

There is a flashlight app out there which is huge, and by downloading it and using it you give the app developer permission to access your location services, and various other functions, system information, see the link below for a report on flashlight apps and what privacy you give up.
        As I said this is just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.wired.com/2014/10/iphone-apps/

Warning: If you click on the following link it will download a PDF to your computer. A report about the top 10 data stealing flashlight apps.

http://www.snoopwall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Flashlight-Spyware-Report-2014.pdf

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc I hate the inter Webs!!!