I think I figured out why some people prefer the UFN format.

Viewing 10 reply threads

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

The number of characters allowed in the title of the post means that people can have all of the substance of their post be immediately visible. In a sense, that board is the equivalent of Twitter.

I think that that allows for more lively conversation in a sense. People can get the gist of the post immediately and make a decision whether to contribute right away or simply ignore. With a board of the format of UteHub the user may not get the gist of the conversation just from the title. There may be deviations or tangents within the thread that aren’t reflected in the title of the thread.

Just thinking out loud.

UtahUteGuy
      Ute Fan
      @utahuteguy

Yeah, I think you hit it. Also, there’s an immediacy to the most recent posts. They are in a big spotlight, with hundreds of users able to read those comments within a very short time. It’s like having 15 minutes of fame every time you post. It encourages more short, to the point posts, and the red star system encourages wit (or crudely presented jokes, in many cases). There’s also the fact that it’s a well established website with a huge user base. If you want to be noticed, it’s still the place to be for Ute fans on the web.

EUte
        Ute Fan
        @eute

You and Lefty are completely right. The Twitter comparison and the point about getting noticed are spot on.
        As others have pointed out, the two boards offer much different experiences and serve two different purposes – which is why many of us regularly use both. I really like the UteHub format and while continued improvements are great, I see no need to change it to be more like UFN.

Anonymous
      Inactive

We could have the same experience here, just lengthen the topic space.

EUte
        Ute Fan
        @eute

dupe post sorry

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by EUte.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yeah the UFN format is certainly not a standard forum format, and not an out of the box solution available. Trust me, I’ve researched it for hours. Recent posts does a great job of showing new to old, like that format does.

I may see if I can program a “look” similar to that or cooterboard, but that will take a while and simply getting the site up and running and looking good is a higher priority.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The other funky thing is that only the topic start has a title AND content field. The replies don’t have a title field… So that makes the UFN style thread even more difficult.

utedds
      Ute Fan
      @utedds

I’ve seen some chat boards, where you can scroll over a topic title with the mouse and some of the content will pop up. I think maybe Utezone? I’m not sure. This makes it a little easier to determine if you are interested enough to actually click on the thread.

utedds
      Ute Fan
      @utedds

By the way, I think the board is all ready fantastic. We’re really nit picking now, but that can be a good thing too.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I still love Utefans but I need a 9 or 10 day break. This should be the greatest week of posting about the Utes in years. Instead a vocal minority is peeing on any bit of optimism and celebration expressed.

Thank God for this alternative in times like these!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Tacoma Ute.

AZswayze
        Ute Fan
        @AZswayze

The straw man argument where a few posters continue to act as if we said Utah was a lock to make the playoffs is ridiculous. Really, really aggravating.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I like them both but I just hate the political posters on Utefans.net. It get too nasty for my taste.

AZswayze
      Ute Fan
      @AZswayze

Where is the guy who chastised me for mentioning utefans the other day? Why is he not bitching about this thread right now?

Anonymous
        Inactive

eyeroll

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

LOL

AZswayze
      Ute Fan
      @AZswayze

God, Brando was a dreamboat

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Ute Hub Site Comments and Suggestions I think I figured out why some people prefer the UFN format.