2021 Defense

Viewing 2 reply threads

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

The Kaho committment is interesting.  It will probably push Sewell to safty leaving him, Calvert and Tufaga to compete for the two remaing LB spots.  The other new LBs will show up in the special teams likely.  With Herbert getting healthy, we should have a third safty.  There should be lots of options for LB sets for short yardage even options for 4 LBs at times.  Because there are so meny DEs there will be intense pressure for them to improve pass rush skills to find playing time.  On third and long we could see a DE in the middle.  So many good LBs and DEs will give Scalley some opportunities to be creative.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sewell will remain a linebacker, he’s not the right size for safety anymore. 

Kaho will play on special teams. We have 5 or 6 linebackers who are good enough to start on other P5 teams. This gets us nowhere because there’s really only time for two to get full time playing time. Three or four of the linebackers will have to transfer. We need to do better balancing the positions, we are very thin at WR and we don’t even have five P5 Olinemen and we need 8, minimum.

2008’s team had a converted punter starting at linebacker and it was our best team ever.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

I wouldn’t assume that we are scheming 2 LB’s exclusively. We played 3 LB sets with Fotu quite a bit in 2020. Also, have we ever started a LB as a freshman? I don’t know that Calvert and Tufaga play ahead of Kaho at LB if we keep Kaho at LB.

I wouldn’t worry about this. Often we not only find a fit for an athlete like Kaho, but often times send them to the NFL.

Anonymous
        Inactive

We may play three linebackers sometimes. That doesn’t change my take. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2021 Defense