A different perspective

Viewing 2 reply threads

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

We’ve had two coaches from this staff be promoted to head positions at other universities.  Kyle now has 4 active Division 1 (both FBS and FCS) head coaches under his coaching tree.  At least TT wasn’t demoted and retained like most of the OCs under Kyle have been.  I’d figure this change up would be easier to stomach than most of the others we’ve had in the recent past.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I am mostly upset with the unknown of who will Whitt hire?  I think Harding is the best option, I kind of hope that maybe Harlan sees this as opportunity to make a big splash. I look at these young athletic tight ends Utah has and they need to be the stars next year. Covey has to rehab an injury and might not be 100% until mid season. Moss who knows if he will come back and Harding has to plug a few holes on the Oline. 

I say Harding but at the the same Stanford type system or what Chow was doing is what I covet. Utah has the mass up front. I hear they have a Yasmanian devil coming in this year for FB. Bring it back bring back power O control the clock and suck the life out of teams down by down. 

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

I thought position coaches and OC/DC hires are up to the Head Coach. The Head Coach is hired by the AD. If that is true, why would Harlan be involved with the OC hire? I think this is KWs call.

tarheelute
        Ute Fan
        @tarheelute

Whittingham finds/interviews/recommends, Harlan works the contract/money. Generally in that order. All three must agree, to culminate the deal. I expect there is some compromise if their is a difference of opinion/interest. I’m not sure Wittingham or any coach had complete hire/fire decision authority, however the HC, is given great deference. The AD generally give’s guidance on money, term, required qualifications, policy (nepotism, integrity) etc., in advance.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

2? Gary, Chow, Taylor, and Sitake (although he took a detour at OSU). 

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

I think he means the 2018 staff.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Chow seriously going to give Whitt credit for that??

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

In coaching tree-speak, yeah technically Whit gets credit for Chow’s first head coaching gig.  It does seem odd to credit Whit with a 40+ year coach.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

I won’t even if it APPEARS that way. 

jamarcus24
        Ute Fan
        @jamarcus24

What Ironman said.  Also, don’t forget about Jay Hill at Weber State.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A different perspective