Avoiding Politics or Misc Posts – View Categories Directly

Viewing 5 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I just had a member request to be deactivated because of all the politics posts. I’m going to post what I wrote to that member, which may help some others:

There’s no deactivate account function. I can either delete it or leave it. Before I do that, let me make a suggestion. You can go directly to the category you like.

Ute Sports:

Utah Utes Sports

Football:

Football

Basketball:

Men’s Basketball

Unless someone posts political stuff in those, you should be golden.

One could visit the Forum Index here also:https://www.utehub.com/forums/

From there go directly to any of the categories.

Remember there’s the category filter at the top of the home page which you can un-check categories.For it to workk you have to be LOGGED IN.

2 5

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I wonder if copying cougarboard would be a good way to appease the faint of heart around here. 

When you type in cougarboard.com you are taken to a welcome page with the top 10 football or basketball topics. Right above the top 10 topics is a link to their thread list. 

That way, the intellectually inclinded could go to the thread page and have some thought provocing discussion and those with weaker moral fiber, easily swayed by whatever wind happens to blow through, easily offended could still have their superficial way and do nothing but visit the home page. 

All that being said, I think you have done more than enough to appease the whiners, but apparently they still aren’t happy. 

At some point, I think we just need to accept that they will never be happy and people like that like to complain to complain. 

Stradlater
        Ute Fan
        @stradlater

I agree that Tony has already done more than enough to appease. There are plenty of ways to hide and hide from topics & categories. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

In the early days of Ute Hub I did have a welcome page, not exactly like that but close. It was decided best to get to the meat of the site for the drive by audience, and I agree for the most part.

6 3

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Dude, that was an amazing piece of dickishness. 

Seriously, I’m looking at the recent posts page and half of the posts on the first page are political. I use the recent posts page because I HATE the utefans layout. This is a Utah sports forum shouldn’t it be primarily ute centric. 

Now, I don’t mind politics here and there but when a sports forum becomes a chance for the politically inclined to insult people who disagree with them then what’s the point of coming here. Utefans becoming political board is the reason why I joined this place to begin with. 

1 1

PorterRockwell
          Ute Fan
          @porterrockwell

I’ve posted everything I can find that is Ute sports related. With the basketball team bring down this year, spring ball still a month away and gymnastics losing to OSU the other night there’s not a lot of Ute news to discuss is there ?

if I were forced to choose between politics and our neighbors south  politics wins.   One thing I really like about this board is the lack of chatter about them. 

as Tony and others have said you can uncheck the category and you could start a thread about Ute sports. Now I need one of the wives to make me a sandwich and massage my feet 

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Unfortunately for those who use the recent posts and anything not the home page to read, they get everything.  No filters.  I can look at maybe filtering that too, but I didn’t program all that stuff so it’s much more difficult to pull off.

2 1

PorterRockwell
              Ute Fan
              @porterrockwell

Now maybe I’m just a peckerhead old gunfighter with too many wives and guns and maybe I do t get this new fancy internet stuff but it seems to me that if someone wants to see or not see specific topics that you’ve made it relatively easy for them to do so yes?  Seems like expecting just a little bit of action on their part isn’t unreasonable yes?  Or I suppose they can continue to complain about it instead of starting a thread about whatever sport they want to discuss 

2 1

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

This action requirement also presupposes they have time to start new posts about Utah sports. Sometimes members are consumers and occasionally post replies. Why should their opinion be discounted?

I recognize that this is the off season, but the constant barrage of politics is off putting. Particularly when posters exude arrogance on top of political opinions.

I myself have tried on occasion to discuss pop culture but these conversations die rather quickly. And judging by the board, no one here really enjoys pop culture talk.

1 1

SkinyUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @skinyute

I don’t remember the last time I turned my TV on for something other than a football game, I probably couldn’t name a single musical artist in today’s top 50, and I’ve seen one movie in the theater in the last 12 months. Pop culture is entirely lost on me.

Anytime y’all want to start a heavy metal or video gaming thread though, I’ll be all over it.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Can you be any more condesending? You can make your point without being a dick. 

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

While I get what you’re trying to say, it could have just as easily been said without all the insults.

Just sayin’

6 3

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

There should be a screenshot of this post on dictionary.com under condescension. Good Lord!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The user, now deleted, expressed to me that he reads the board but does not log in.  So that makes the category filter worthless. I wonder how many other lurkers don’t login?

Anonymous
        Inactive

I used to not login and just like to lurk, but now I have it set to automatically login so I can filter out politics. I do wish we could ignore users on the front page. 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Stop whining about Tony being condescending. He has to deal with the people complaining, not you. While maybe he could’ve stated it differently, I can’t blame him for getting frustrated, and he has probably been drinking. *shrug*

It’s the off-season for football, and we’re in an, um, “interesting” time for politics. Fine, copy kewger board or whatever is easiest. Those of us who enjoy beating a dead horse can find the politics posts.

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

Pretty sure all those comments were directed at Utah’s post, not Tony.

Mine was, anyways.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

Mine too Skiny. In no way was mine directed at Tony. He’s doing a fantastic job.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Avoiding Politics or Misc Posts – View Categories Directly