Can we avoid a mass exodus when Whitt retires?

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We are seeing many players leaving the programs that had their coach leave, i.e., Oregon State, Arizona, UW, etc. Can the Utes avoid this when Whitt decides to retire? I believe the answer is yes if we handle things right.

Let me first say, that I am not suggesting that Whitt retires, but I think we all assume that he will retire within the next few years. (This is based on what he has said in the past.)

When Whiit decides to retire, I hope he makes an announcement just before the first game of his final season. At that same time – I hope the school announces that Morgan Scalley will become the next head coach at Utah. Doing this provides continuity. I believe Morgan is ready to take on the position of head coach. I hope if he becomes head coach that he keeps some staff to provide even more continuity. That being said, Morgan must pick guys he can work with. (I made a mistake once in my working career and kept the entire leadership in a large organization. All were good people, but some did not share the same vision as me.)

I know our friends on CougarBoard paint Morgan Scalley as a racist because it promotes their narrative. Will there be some pushback in recruiting? There might be some. But, Morgan has worked with many players from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds. I believe he will get glowing endorsements from all of them. By the way, I would love it if Steve Smith joined our staff in the future.

Yes, Utah is in a position to recruit nationally for a new head coach when that time comes. However, I can’t think of many guys who I would want to lead this team that is better prepared than Morgan Scalley.

Go Utes!!!

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

Well, if it’s this year, half the team will leave. Mostly because they are Seniors ;). But that does provide new playing opportunities for the rest, so hopefully that keeps many. Defense shouldn’t see as much attrition if Scalley gets named. Might depend on the OC how many offensive players stay.

I do like a clear succession plan which creates continuity. If it’s a shock like Saban (working until announced he was done), people react and enter the portal out of emotion before weighing the tradeoffs.

2 1

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I don’t expect an issue at all. Whitt has been clear that he wants to stick around the program in an admin capacity when he steps down from HC, and the U agreed. With Scalley to move up that is about as soft a change possible. Scalley’s’ issue, I believe was over dramatized and is now a nonissue. Ludwig may go with Whitt but he likely would be willing to stay a year if Scalley needed it in transition. Lud would also be willing to help with his own replacement. The offense will likely see some change but without great risk to the tenants that Whitt has built. Scalley will introduce something that is new school tailored to young athletes. I would expect players would follow the normal year to year turnover we now see with the portal, I think. Nothing to benefit the CougarBoard.

1 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

If Scalley could get Ludwig to stay one more year after Whitt retires…that might be perfect. Although it wouldn’t shock me if Harding gets the OC job again when Whitt/Ludwig leave.

I think the biggest issue with Utah coaches is how will they handle losing Colton Swan. After we are in the playoffs next year he will be a hot commodity. Dude can recruit and his LB’ers are amazing.

highlandute7
          Ute Fan
          @highlandute7

Maybe make Shah and Swan co-DCs?

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I wonder what Shah’s goals are. If he just wants to coach at Utah, make a s**t ton of money and win, then I wonder if you could make him an AHC and special teams coordinator/CB coach and then make Swan DC.

I don’t know if Shah would want that, but its an idea.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Credit to KW and the culture built supporting a solid succession plan for Scalley. As long as Harlan doesn’t Fu$% it up, transitioning Scalley to HC with KW in a consulting role should have little impact on player departures and may actually be good for recruiting. Further validates KW’s commitment to the people not only the player. Scalley owned his mistake and clearly the players have moved on. KW will guide Scalley when he needs it and is smart and humble enough to fill in the areas KW may have not been strong in. I am looking forward to see what staff Scalley pulls together. Guessing Shah takes over at DC. Scalley’s offensive plan will be fun to watch. If Ludwig is up for transitioning to a similar consulting role as KW it would be ideal. Overall, I don’t see much drop off when KW retires and Scalley takes over.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I don’t think this situation, and the situations you are referring to are analogous. I believe it will be quite different when a coach retires, leaving his protege in charge. I have no reason to believe that other than my own common sense.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Can we avoid a mass exodus when Whitt retires?