Coach K has to go now if we hope to restore this program.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      5 3

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I read the posts below and I understand why some think he will not go.  I think he may not go this year either.  The reason – we don’t have a university president.  I doubt that a lame-duck or acting president will pull the plug.

Our basketball program is in dire straits IMO.

Coach K had some good (not great) early years and we over-reacted by giving him a contract that he did not deserve.  We are paying the consequences.  That being said, if we had an established president, I believe we would pull the plug.  It would be costly, but I feel that it would be more costly to continue down this path.

The top of my list for a replacement is Alex Jensen.  However, I am not sure that he wants this debacle.  He has a great job and likely will be an NBA coach someday.  But, maybe he would like the challenge of rebuilding the program that he once played for.

Go Utes!!!

1 2

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Yup. Dead coach walking. No reason to keep him on. Cut ties. Bring in a real coach. Rebuild (for real though) and let’s move on. Another year, even a successful one is worthless since he’s gone anyways.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

Heres a hypothetical for you.

The likelyhood of coach K leaving before the end of next season IMO is very low.

If Larry keeps all his best players from this team and adds the 2 euros he has signed and recruits as well as he did this year he could have a very good team next year.

If he were to make a deep run into next years tournament, say elite 8 or even final 4, do you still fire him?

3 1

AZUteFan
          Ute Fan
          @azutefan

Let’s start with just making it to the NCAA Tournament before we talk about Elite 8 and Final 4 appearances.  We can’t even sniff the NIT anymore unless we have a team full of Seniors. Yet half the people on this board want to keep LK around for that deep NIT run in 2 years. Pathetic.

bopahull
            Ute Fan
            @bopahull

Not dissagreeing with you, just presenting a hypothetical.

3 3

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

I can make up nonsensical hypotheticals too but at the end of the day that’s all they are…complete nonsense. News flash, Larry K could recruit the next LeBron James and he isn’t going to make it to the Elite 8 or Final 4. It’s not happening. He’s simply not a good coach and has a long track record now that proves it. The program is a dumpster fire with no fan support and he needs to go.

bopahull
            Ute Fan
            @bopahull

You apparently have enough time so go ahead. LOL

1 2

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Ok here’s my equivalent BS hypothetical to yours…we fire Larry K, and then Harlan hires away the real Coach K from Duke. And in his first year recruiting he brings in the Fab 5 (all one and done freshman players) and leads the Utes to the Final 4 and national championship. What do you think?!

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

I have long since lost confidence in Coach K, but if the team goes to the Final 4 or Elite 8, you most likely need to keep him – despite the recent history. It would be pretty nuts to let go of a coach that takes a team that far. 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Coach K has to go now if we hope to restore this program.