College football portal – Are the Utes ahead of the game?

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I think that so far this calendar year we are ahead.  I don’t think you can count Brewer because I believe he is a graduate transfer (different rule).

We may be ahead today, but that could change in August.  One of the coaches (can’t remember who) said after spring ball that it was very possible we could lose 1-3 offensive linemen once the two-deep is announced.  You could say, oh well – the starters stayed.  If we lose 1-3 offensive linemen that could be devastating to our offense.  Every team needs depth on the line.

The thing I hate most about the portal is that if a kid doesn’t start – he goes to the portal.  Even free agency in the NFL doesn’t allow this.  The NCAA needs to fix this debacle.

In the meantime – the Utes should work the portal hard to fill in the gaps.  It appears that KW and his staff have done a good job so far.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I think we’re way ahead at this point. “Starting” on a crap team you transfered to is better than being 2nd string on a solid P5 team it would seem. 

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Guys, I think ProudUte has a problem with the portal…

2 1

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Thanks for validating me!!! 🙂

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

Just picking up what you are putting down. haha

DieHardUtahUtesFan
        Ute Fan
        @diehardutahutesfan

Proudute’s Prounouced Portal Problem

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

NCAA has a track record of making messes and cleaning up what they want to.
      Pedo State and Miami has proven you can pretty much do whatever you want.

1 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Honest question, of the kids by “portal” defintion transferring into Utah, what is the overall net gain to loss ratio of key contributing players? For example, losing Nacua, Thompson, etc, what has Utah recently gained from the portal to replace or add to the program? A lot of young WRs on the roster.

I would say at this point without seeing Howard in a Ute uniform, Utah has a net loss. Not counting Dixon. Brewer and Rising, no impact (Rising impact TBD due to injury not on him of course). Other than Kincaid, can’t recall other impact players???? Not sure if Sewell counts as he walked on after leaving Nevada. 

This next season will shed more light on transfer portal impact with notable guys coming in from UW, Oklahoma, etc. Portal is a nice stop gap, but Utah needs to continue recruiting higher level players out of H.S. to build a grass roots culture of players the Utah way. So looking forward to this season. Go Utes!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football College football portal – Are the Utes ahead of the game?