Context for anyone that needs it

Viewing 10 reply threads
      9 2

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Utah’s two loses are too the number 10 and Number 25 teams currently in the county on the road by a total of 13 points. 

We may not be as bad as people think. 

4 7

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

People “think” a lot of things, it doesn’t make them true. The groupthink on most boards was that Utah would be 10-2 or 11-1 this season. If the narrative is now going to be that they were just unlucky enough to run into a couple of really good teams instead of the crap teams that I was told for months they would playing, I didn’t get the memo.

Someone needs to inform me whenever the goalposts move so that I can keep up to date on what my expectations should have been.

4 3

GreatNorthernUte
        Ute Fan
        @greatnorthernute

Good post.  I am really amused by the notion that losing to SDSU is just some random speed bump in the way of an awesome team.  Borderline zoobish.

2 2

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

To be fair, I never saw Utah losing to both the parochial school and San Diego State so it’s not like I was right on the money any more than anyone else. I did think they would end up 8-4 and speculated that one of the losses might either be the end of the streak – it had to end at some point – or the SDSU game since they have done so well lately against the Pac.

But no, I would never have predicted they would lose both in such lackluster fashion. I thought there would be growing pains with a young defense and an unproven O-Line. Still, those were both winnable games and missed opportunities. I just wouldn’t be changing my narrative that Utah all of a sudden had a great strength of schedule and should be taking moral victories from those losses.

S.CarolinaUte
            Ute Fan
            @s-carolinaute

“We may not be as bad as people think”. Out of that you got

Utah all of a sudden had a great strength of schedule”

Ok I’m done. We disagree.

S.CarolinaUte
        Ute Fan
        @s-carolinaute

Dayem, you really read alot of s**t into that comment. He said nothing about moving goalposts. He was just trying to get a little bit of positives back into this “So called Fan base”

2 5

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

That post was the definition of moving the goalposts.

Before game happened: No way either of those teams should even be on the same field as the team I root for. What idiot even bothered scheduling these cupcakes?

After game happened: Hey, those teams are really good because they beat the team I root for by small margins. Therefore by the transitive property of college football, I can ignore what actually happened and feel good about myself because the team I root for can come close to winning against teams that I originally thought were craptacular.

S.CarolinaUte
            Ute Fan
            @s-carolinaute

If I came into the season with your mindset than yes I would have your negative acid take also. We will agree to disagree on moving the goalposts. I have watched to much football to ever go into a season with your attitude. I have also seen teams that NOONE saw coming put everything together and end up better than expected. I have also seen “Cant miss” teams fall on their swords for no apparent reason. Goals and expectations change as a year progresses. True fans ride the highs and lows. 

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

I’m not convinced that you know what my mindset was coming into the season, even though it is five posts above and you responded to it. But thank you for deciding whether I am a True Fan or not.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Those teams aren’t as good as their records

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Agreed on both counts.

GreatNorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @greatnorthernute

SDSU should not be ranked.  Their other three wins are against total patsies and Arizona who is a half step from total patsy.  Three wins against very bad teams.

alUmnUs
      Ute Fan
      @alumnus

Contextualizing rankings. Now there’s a slippery slope.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I suppose it’s slightly better than losing to an FCS team, but not much, a loss is a loss. Moral victories don’t exist in sports. Good losses are also a shibboleth.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Looking forward to Saturday night to see how the team responds. The Oregon State DBs holding Drake London and the other NFL ready WRs every down was a good strategy. Refs got tired of throwing flags every play.

Utah needs to run the ball well and control the clock. Hoping Drake London has a bad case of the stomach flu. Can we fly in Jaylon Johnson in for the game to cover London? Dude is a freak, no college football player can cover him 1on1. I hope Scalley has a better defensive game plan than the last two games Utah played USC. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

USC’s run defense has been bad. Hopefully the Utes can block well enough.

6 3

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

It doesn’t explain why we struggled with WSU for 55 minutes. This week will tell us who we are. If we can keep it within 2 TD’s I’ll have some faith. Not much… but some.

Honestly, I’m kinda over this season anyway and have chalked it up to a rebuild. 8-0, great. 0-8, fine.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

We hadn’t noticed, Larry. 😉

PNW Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pnwute

There’s some pretty circular logic to accept here.

Why is SDSU ranked? “Because they beat a Utah team that was supposed to be pretty good.”

But how do we know Utah is any good? “Because they barely lost to a ranked SDSU team.”

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

The only context I need is that Utah is 1-0 in league play. The team’s goals are still attainable.

Personally, I just want to be entertained. But for the sake of the team, I want them to achieve their goals…they deserve it after all they’ve been through in the past couple of years.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

*11 pts

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Context for anyone that needs it