Ute Fan
      @mdute

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I suppose this will ruin college football faster.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

You knew that this was always going to happen once the courts got involved. My only comment is that if Utah and Miami aren’t part of the Big Table I ain’t watching. We’ll see what those earning reports look like after you disenfranchise 2/3 of the football watching public.

2 3

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Yet another thing to blame on California. We were all perfectly fine with our heads in the sand, pretending that “student-athlete” was a real thing and that a recruit, once recruited, would stay on campus until he/she exhausted their eligibility. Then the California legislature passed NIL at the same time the NCAA – pressured by California – loosened up the transfer restrictions and the death spiral began in earnest.

1 2

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

So California is at fault for not allowing athletes to be taken advantage of?

So, it’s ok for Saban to make 10 million a year and the athletes nothing?

Give me a break. Be smarter than this. This is another example of knowing a system is broken and doing nothing until it’s too late.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

I would still watch Utah football. I would be disappointed, but I would still be a fan.

If you think Utah has been playing on a level field with the Ohio State, Alabama, USC, and Texas teams of the world (even in the Pac-12 era) then you haven’t really been paying attention.

While Utah may have closed the gap a little as a member of the Pac-12, we will likely never be able to come close to the advantages experienced by those teams on and off the field.

Even if we were invited to the “Big Kid’s Table”, we would be playing underneath the table, hoping for scraps or a chance to peak at the feast above. That chance may come once in a while, but probably not too often.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

The problem is Utah won’t be allowed to close the gap anymore and it will widen further. Miami is right. They’re going to alienate 2/3 of the country.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

There’s 133 FBS teams. The way this is going, you’re likely to have a Super Conference of 40 teams or so. The rest of the teams will be relegated to chump status, which will generate a ton of ill will and deep seated grievances. One of the key rules to be a success in life is don’t p**s people off unless you absolutely, positively have to. But these clowns from the B1G and SEC think that Joe Utah Fan will watch their product no matter what. They couldn’t be more wrong.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

F**k the NCAA. Burn it all.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

bring on minor league pro football. Works for me! I’m fine with a Utah Utes team that is only loosely affiliated with the University. Not my 1st choice, but I’m okay with it. Could work like club teams in soccer with relegation and such.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

First free agency for players (portal) now no salary cap or restrictions (nil). Sounds like a plan for success. Next pay per view ( streaming to watch), nil fee for season ticket holders. Welcome to professional college football.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

LOL…and that’s when people find out that there’s more to life than college football. The last thing these guys want is for people to realize that they can say goodbye to college football and life goes on. I used to be a huge MLB/NBA fan but really haven’t watched a game of either since Covid. Who’s to say that in their never ending quest to extract more money from the fan, the powers that be won’t make college football unwatchable for a large segement of fans.

Jim Vanderhoof
          Ute Fan
          @jvhoofs

I’m getting there Miami. I’ve had season tickets since the early 70s. Seriously considering not renewing. Retired on a fixed income. Coaches salaries and nil money is out of control and somebody has to foot the bill.

Uteanooga
      Ute Fan
      @uteanooga

I am similarly concerned for the fate of Utah athletics and will miss the enjoyment of our P12 ride.

What seems to be lost in fan’s complaints, however, is the simple fact that the previous system violated the inherent rights of the student athletes. That is what the courts have ruled. Everyone bellyaches about how the changes will affect their own program but no one has yet illustrated a point indicating that the courts were wrong.

If a practice becomes widespread and popular does that change the legality of premise on which it is based?

How can anyone defend not owning the right to one’s one name and likeness based on decisions made when you were a child?

Who here thinks that your own job options should be legally restricted for the benefit of your employer?

Yes things have changed dramatically and are going to continue to change dramatically. I suspect that the big losers will end up being women’s sports because, as we all know, they do not generate revenue. Football pays for title IX. Almost all of that “greed” is spent providing essentially professional-athlete experiences to students playing games that no one other than parents and grandparents care about. Shut off the spigot and these programs will have to become much more intramural like.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

What seems to be lost in fan’s complaints, however, is the simple fact that the previous system violated the inherent rights of the student athletes. That is what the courts have ruled.

That’s not technically true. The O’Bannon case simply said that the NCAA and it’s member schools could not license a player’s NIL without compensating that player which is why we haven’t had the EA sports college games. There was a 2nd case but I don’t remember the plaintiff so don’t want to misstate the details.

The new NIL rules came after the California legislature passed a bill which allowed it’s athletes to market themselves and, with pressure from their local colleges, many other states rushed to pass similar. The NCAA, doing their usual fantastic job of leading from behind, instituted the current NIL rules which Tennessee and Virginia (the states) have sued to stop. That case is still ongoing but a Federal Judge just issued an injunction so until the case is decided, or the injunction is lifted, the NCAA can’t enforce anything regarding NIL.

The case that is going to blow everything up is House v NCAA. There are legal eagles on here who can explain it better than I but that is the one which will decide whether the previous system “violated the inherent rights of student athletes.” I agree with your premise, I just disagree that it has become legal writ. Yet

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Court ruling in Tennessee means zero restrictions for NIL