Crystal Ball

Viewing 4 reply threads

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

Here’s my bold prediction for the remainder of the season: Either JJ or Glover steps up big and carries the offense to a very respectable season for the Utes.

I only base this on what’s happened in every other year the Utes have been in the Pac-12 with a struggling offense. There’s always been a RB who took the offense on their shoulders. White IV, Booker, Williams, Moss, Jordan, Thomas, etc. I’ve just come to expect RB heroics as a Ute fan.

I know full well that JJ may not get healthy and Jaylon hasn’t appeared to put everything together yet, but I’m an optimist at heart. I wouldn’t put any money on us winning the conference again but think we finish strong.

My bonus prediction: We see Barton play some tight end after the bye week. I’m only half serious about this but with the comments Kyle already made about playing him there, the offensive struggles, and a bye week to prepare him for some plays, it wouldn’t surprise me to see it happen.

Flame away.

4 2

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

If JJ doesn’t get healthy, Glover is going to get run into the ground. He’s gonna get hurt if JJ doesn’t come back.

DrahtUte
        Ute Fan
        @drahtute

Agreed. It would have been interesting to see how many carries Vincent would have gotten against OSU if he didn’t immediately go out with an injury.

One running back is not enough though and I’m guessing they were going to give Vincent a handful of carries to rest Jaylon but that plan got blown up.

I don’t know how many snaps Curry got against OSU – he seemed to be moving fine but maybe a little lost.

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

One of the freshman has to come in and take some of the load. If Rising comes back run NJ 5-6 times per game to help as well

enigami344
          Ute Fan
          @enigami344

I thought Whitt said in an interview that both freshmen RB are underweight (like 175 lb), I doubt we will see them play this year.

22Ute22
            Ute Fan
            @utedagoat

Mike Mitchell is 200 pounds.

5 3

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

And what is your prediction for who is going to keep opposing defenses honest by being able to complete a 5 yard pass? If we become a run only team, we’re not winning more than 2 of our remaining games.

DrahtUte
        Ute Fan
        @drahtute

I think Cam comes back but is limited to a game manager type of role because of his injury. He’s capable of reading defenses, making the right call at the line and can do enough with his arm to keep defenses honest. We become run-heavy but not run-only.

3 2

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Man, DrahUte, I love your enthusiasm and confidence. I wish I were there with you, but I just think this injury crisis is too much to overcome this year. Not only have we had more than our fair share of injuries, but they are at key positions. Here’s how I think the rest of the year plays out:

We lose the big three (USC, Oregon, & Washington)
      We lose 2 of 3 out of Cal, Arizona, & Colorado
      We beat Arizona St

We finish at 6-6, go to a low level bowl, and finally get back on track with a win. This is just my opinion, which doesn’t mean much, but I’m just trying to be realistic. Perhaps the injury luck swings the other way the rest of the season, but I think it will be too little too late. Trust me, I hope I’m eating some nicely cooked crow at the end of November (I will say the defense could literally win an extra game for us).

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

I’m probably between you and DrahUte unless things change dramatically. I’m with a lot of people that RB injuries are probably a bigger issue than even QB. We have SO many people down – some short-term, some for the season. Defense is ok, it’s all about the offense.

I could see 7-5 as floor (lose big 3, lose 1/3 Cal, Arizona [most likely just because it’s a road game], CU) with whatever happens (they let Nate loose, Cam comes back, JJ only misses a few games, a freshman RB/surprise position switch emerges, etc.) probably putting us at 9-3 at best. OL is one of the most experienced, but is not grading out well (so far, seem to gel as season goes on).

Still could salvage a good season. Not optimistic of best case with people coming back and clicking and we got 11-1, 10-2 and get back to CCG. Seems like UW and Oregon are the favorites with USC or even WSU (easiest schedule) as next most probable.

In some ways, writing off this season makes this season’s games more enjoyable. Starting to wonder how good we could be next year – who will still be here, can we reset with new QB (on staff – Rose, NJ, Isaac, Howard; transfer?)? Can we match offensive scheme with personnel, not try to force the desired offense onto the players? Will transition to Big12 be shocking just because we won’t be used to the teams and stadiums?

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Good God, don’t drop the toaster. It was a loss, on the road, to a top 20 team. It was not a loss to a 1 win team at home. The season is not over, Utah will move the ball against other teams, particularly Colorado, Arizona, and Cal (two of which are at home). Step back from that ledge.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

I’m not on the ledge here. I promise. I simply don’t see how we win playing one-sided ball. That’s all. I’m not convinced we move the ball even with Cam in there at this point. But like I said, I hope I’m wrong. I hope Cam comes back for Cal and drops 400 yards on them. As always… GO UTES!

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

It’s not about the loss. It’s about how this is the worst offense utah has put on the field.. maybe ever. Baylor is looking like hot trash. Weber state doesn’t count. Squeeked by 2 decent teams with starting freshman QBs playing their first game against a legit P5 defense, a top 5 in the country defense. 5-7 is a real possibility. Thinking 7-5 doesn’t seem sky is falling, seems down right optimistic to me.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Crystal Ball