Don’t read this article today, but save for tomorrow

Viewing 10 reply threads
      3 3

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I just read this article, read it until the end, but not until tomorrow. Let today be about LLTJ!

Article: Football is destroying itself

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

Just my opinion, and I totally understand if I get flamed for it.

You can simultaneously honor the legacy of someone that passed, while also recognizing that there are ways to prevent such an accident moving forward. I 100% am a believer in learning from others mistakes, rather than having to learn that lesson by making that mistake on my own.

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

This article seems to have no point except to cherry-pick ugly sports headlines from the last couple years to say how horrible football is. Or maybe that the people that make up the football landscape are horrible people… A lot of the things he criticized were a stretch. For example, an unsportsmanlike TD celebration. That stuff has always been present in football. Same with fights. I don’t have data to back it up, but I perceive it’s actually much less prevalent nowadays. The football field has recently been a big platform for social activism, so it’s a ridiculous point to say that football is degenerating to ruins because of a few examples of repugnant behavior.

An then this excerpt really made me upset.

On Christmas Day, Ty Jordan, Utah’s 19-year-old star freshman running back, was shot dead in what was described as a self-inflicted accident. But that’s hardly the point. He wasn’t accidentally in possession of a loaded gun.

When he says “that’s hardly the point”, then what is the point? The tone of the article seems to infer that Ty is a criminal or a bad person for having a weapon. I understand if you want to make a point of gun safety or even to try to push for gun reform. However, using a tragic accidental shooting with no additional details released about the situation is a s**tty way to push your narrative about how amoral or unethical football is.

Fill me in if my reading comprehension is poor, but I’m struggling to understand what message he is trying to send.

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

Agree, this guy had an axe to grind and went looking for incidents to “prove” his point. Conspicuously missing from any of the “gang warfare” examples are any of the many hockey and/or baseball fights that have occurred during the same time. Do the demographics of those sports make those instances less severe? 

Pretty disgusting that he jumps on Ty’s death a week after it happened and without any details lumps him in with all of these other cherry-picked examples. 

uteinzoobcounty
      Ute Fan
      @uteinzoobcounty

I mean soccer is the most popular sport in brazil, and people get murdered everyday there. Coincidence?????

Cesar Chavez
        Ute Fan
        @le-cockgrande

CORRECTION! SOCCER IS THE MOST POPULAR SPORT IN THE WOURLD, NOT JUST BRAZIL, SO THERE IS THAT!

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Better idea: Don’t read this article. It’s muckraking crap.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Very poorly written IMO.  Everything is taken out of context.

You could truthfully write that bad things happen at church and they do.  But, you need to put it in context.  I hate this kind of article because it does not tell the other side of the story.

This happens every day on the national news.  They only share with you the narrative they would like to advance.

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Its a tabloid, enough said.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Don’t read this article today, but also don’t read it tomorrow, the next or any day actually. 

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

The link indicates it’s from the New York Post.  Enough for me to pass it by.

Cesar Chavez
          Ute Fan
          @le-cockgrande

LET ME GUESS, IF IT WAS WRITTEN BY FOX NEWS, YOU’D BE ALL OVER IT RIGHT?

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

The NY Post is somewhat right leaning. It’s still a s**tty article.

cjd1
        Ute Fan
        @cjd1

You can say that again.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Don’t read this article today, but also don’t read it tomorrow, the next or any day actually. 

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

Bad article. Looks like a writer looking for clicks. Irresponsible to throw Ty Jordan into this.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I fully expected a few thumbs down. Why did I post it? Because I felt it was a smear of Utah football. Name Ty Jordan, and use his death inappropriately in my opinion, and don’t forget to tack on a Utah football players rape allegation in the process.

It was not a well written article, I was just pointing out how Utah was thrown in with his garbage.

If I had written anything like that for a class in my BA or MBA I’d have expected a failing grade. Really poor use of random examples and trying to tie them into a cogent argument. 

Do I think football is in trouble? Yes, but not due to the issues he mentioned. Miami-FSU from the 1990s were way worse than what we’ve seen this year. Miami-ND, same thing (Catholics vs. Convicts). 

I was kind of p**sed he just did the old non sequitor and threw Utah under the bus.

A better argument for football being in trouble would have to do with head injuries, societal change to less in person interaction, and a myriad of other reason.

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Quick grab the mallet!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Don’t read this article today, but save for tomorrow