Dying love of recruiting

Viewing 6 reply threads

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

Used to be absolutely obsessed with the recruiting side of college football but now with all the decommits, recommits, transfer portal, & NIL madness, it’s just like…what’s the point?

Cheer for the dudes that make it on to the field in the Fall. That’s where I’m at right now.

Just trying to keep track of who we are targeting and who is visiting and who is offered just doesn’t scratch the itch anymore because we have to RErecruit every single year with ginormous incentives AND transfer portal poaching can happen at literally any time. And we STILL have yet to sign a single 5 star recruit (which may or may not actually be worth the drama and $ now)

Combine that with the college football playoff drama happening with B10 & SEC trying to get automatic bids into the bye slots, my love of college football is quickly dying.

It’s rough being a captive of a sport and team where no matter what you do, you have absolutely zero impact.

Not trying to be a downer, just seeing if this resonates with anyone else.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I agree with you 100%. I’m not consciously trying to lose interest either. It’s just getting harder and harder to care anymore.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I’ve been that way for a while. Probably a sign of how old I’m getting. Essentially, root for the guys that are wearing the uniform when they’re wearing the uniform…everything else is just details that I’m not privy to.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

This is one of the biggest disappointments in this “new and improved” college football world. I loved bringing in an off-the-radar kid that we’d throw in the weight room for a year and then he’d grow into being an NFL draft pick by the time he was a Senior. Those stories will still be there, but they’ll be scarce.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

My fear is, they’ll come here, develope and then bolt to the P2. If the Utes become a farm team, I’m afraid I’ll lose all intrest.

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

My feeling is you can have a transfer portal or an endless NIL but you can’t have both.

NIL money doesn’t kill the game if you pick your school and stay there.
      Transfer portal becomes less of an issue if you aren’t incentivizing it with $$$

I don’t think the NCAA will win much in the NIL world because it’s booster money but I do think they have a pretty good leg to stand on in saying the rules for this league/division are that you can’t transfer in from another school in this league/division.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I sound like a broken record, but there is an easy, easy fix.

Stop pretending this isn’t a pro league. Let the players unionize. Create a CBA. Have a salary cap, negotiated salaries, contracts, etc. Every other pro league does this and is successful.

The problem with this is…once we become a pro league and I admit that it’s true…I’m not sure I want to watch a s**tty pro team play when I can just watch my Iggles play…

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I’m totally with you there…if what you outline happens, then it’ll be a s**ttier version of the XFL or USFL. If those leagues can’t get eyeballs and admittedly they have better players across the board than even the B1G or SEC, why would anyone waste their time watching that when they can get the straight goods just watching the NFL?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

The problem is the P2 will be making the rules. They won’t care about any teams from other conferences. They may protect themselves and limit transfers from within the conference, but there’s no way they’ll prevent a school from poaching a B12 school.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

What if, if you poach a kid who is already involved with an NIL deal, the receiving institution must pay the the poached institution the value of the NIL deal already in place? That’ll create a disincentive to making “have not” institutions from turning them into “farm teams”. Like when Alabama was tampering with Rising and Kinkaid.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Dying love of recruiting