Explain QBR to me please

Viewing 2 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Barnes had a better completion percentage, more yards, and same TD/INT ratio… yet his QBR was less than 20, and Cam’s was nearly 90. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but what is it taking into account that shows Barnes played worse?

No
      Ute Fan
      @nonameforme

When calculating QBR, “garbage time” plays are discounted 30% and screen plays are given as less credit to the QB vs deep plays. Most of everything Barnes did well came after the game was decided, down by 21 late in the 4th, where qbr takes into account that the defense is no longer playing aggressive. Additionally, most of Barnes’ completed passes were short screen style throws. Cam’s QBR would be largely calculated while the game was still undecided, not discounted the 30%, while he also made several “clutch” plays that raises QBR. If Barnes’ small amount of successful plays would have happened before they went down by 21 to keep the game competitive then his QBR would have been higher.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

QBR takes into account how much your plays helped the team win/lose.

A 90 yard TD is not a 90 yard TD. A 90 yard TD with 70 yards in the air down 7 points is worth a lot more than a 2 yard screen that the receiver takes for 90 yards when you are up 21.

The reality is, we were in a competitive game when Barnes came into the game and he lost us the game. His INT and inability to get a first down led to Penn St getting three huge plays. Everything he did after that was essentially meaningless and his QBR reflects that.

There is a weird following behind Barnes in this fanbase and I’m sure the kid is a great guy, but if he’s our starting QB next fall…we might not go bowling. He is not a P12 QB.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Look, I’m not defending Barnes or suggesting that he played as good as Cam… I think I made that pretty clear in my post. Just wondered what QBR took into account that lead to the vast difference in rating when their stats are so similar… and I got my answer from the first reply.

thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Explain QBR to me please