First half assessment of the Wazzou game

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

The score is 14-7 for Houston

Gordon is no Minchew. His line gives him all day, but Houston rarely rushed more than 3. 

Houston is playing a smart game. They run the play clock down to under five seconds almost every play. This keeps the ball out of WSU’s hands. Houston has only had three possessions. They are controlling the line of scrimmage.  Their QB is an amazing athlete. 

Utah can learn from this game.  You can run against the undersized WSU defense. Take time off the clock. This keeps WSU’s offense off the field. 

Houston gives Gordon all day to pass with no pressure. But, they drop eight in coverage. This forces WSU to throw short passes. They have committed a lot of penalties that have prevented scores. Gordon threw a PI in the end zone late in the half on a throw into coverage.  

The bad news is that the Pac-12 may lose another game to a G5 team,  The good news is that WSU is very beatable.  I suspect that WSU will still score a lot points in the second half. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We’ll see what happens with 2nd half adjustments. Houston just royally f’d up fumbling on 4th down on their own 46.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Yep and WSU took it in for a score to make it 14-14. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Utah is a rushing control the clock team. Not sure why Utah has to take a lesson in its own strategy. Ludwig will establish the rush set up play action and then grind out games for a win.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

What I think we can learn is to let the play clock run down each play. You want to keep the ball out of the hands of WSU’s offense. 

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Looks like a classic Leach halftime adjustment.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

WSU now up 21-14.  The last TD pass from Gordon was pretty. He’s playing better this half.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Basically Houston is a really dumb team. They’re really doing stupid stuff. They should be winning this game.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Well hope Utah gets some of these obvious hold calls. I have seen some terrible choking on the flags with Anae.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Yeah, if we play disciplined football we will win. Their d-line is tiny. We sometimes have trouble blocking them, but if we can keep them out of the backfield we will win easily.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Borghi is pretty quick that pick had NOTHING to do with the play. Awful flag.

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

I wish Rogers Redding would call out the Pac-12 more.  He’s pretty good about explaining calls, I don’t see why he doesn’t post reviews of controversial plays and why or why not the officials called it.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Good call on that dropped INT. Terrible pass by Gordon.

Chidojuan
                Ute Fan
                @chidojuan

Yup, trying to make up for the OPI call.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

The penalties just may kill one of these coaches.

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

It was a blatant offensive pass interference. As obvious a penalty as I have EVER seen. Right call for sure

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I am looking forward to this game. Utah with its four down lineman and man press is going to be a good matchup I believe. Wazzu Oline are struggling with those little UH dlineman.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Credit to WSU for making necessary halftime adjustments. Also, Houston imploded with numerous mistakes.  I still think WSU is a winnable game in two weeks. We should be able to run and control time of possession IMO.  WSU will score, they have some very good players and innovative passing game. 

UM4G
        Ute Fan
        @um4g

Agree, I think the key against WSU is limit the big plays. We played Cal several years ago when they had Goff and lost, I remember the commentators saying several times that home runs beat singles and it was true – we were stopping most of their possessions but allowed a few long TD passes that just killed us in the end. I think that applies here – gotta make them drive the length of the field everytime if they want to score.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football First half assessment of the Wazzou game