From a friend inside the Provo locker room

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

This is what he is saying about BYU’s football team:

– Whoever the QB is will not be close in talent to Wilson

– They believe they have 5 excellent receivers and that they would all be potential starters at Utah.  (They do have some good receivers, i.e. Romney, Nacua 1, Nacua 2, Pau’u, etc.)

– They believe Algier is one of the top ten runners in the country and a certain NFL running back.

– Their weaknesses are the D-line (edge pass rush) and a solid cover-corner. (Also, I should be clear, they do not consider these to be overwhelming weaknesses, just not their strengths.)

– They feel like they can win 8-9 games.

Unlike previous years, they aren’t talking much about Utah, at least outside the locker room.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Sounds delusional. Puka might start at Utah but Samson normally didn’t while he was here. Not convinced Romney is a world beater. Algier as one of the best in the country? If they mean better than the bottom half, I’ll go for that. But top 10 would be more than a stretch.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Algier had the benefit of a very senior, talented O Line with a lot of chemistry. That will not be the case this year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see his numbers regress. Samson could start at Utah (when he’s healthy).

If this insider info is true and the D-Line is a weakness, that does not bode well for matching up against an experienced Utah O-Line that people seem to be high on this season. If they can’t win their matchups and give Brewer time to pass comfortably (combined with an apparent weakness at corner), it could be a tough night for them.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if Whitt keeps things vanilla and just runs the ball down their throat all night with the stable of backs we have.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I should have been more clear on the D-line issue.  Some are worried about their edge pass-rushing ability.  I believe they think that their ability to stop the run is solid.  I probably misspoke saying the D-line was a big weakness.

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

Puka played well for UW. I have a hard time beleiving he woudn’t start here. Samson played his role at Utah, but the last play I remember from him is getting the ball ripped away by a Wazzu DB on a slant route. The other guys.. meh. Algier might be good, but everything he did last year was against poor competition. Won’t be as easy vs bigger, stronger, faster players. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

They aren’t talking Utah?  Could it be that they’ve finally given up?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I don’t think so.  I am sure it is a topic discussed at length in the coach’s room and locker room.  But, I think they learned their lesson.  Going public early as they did two years ago backfired.  Two years ago, they would break the huddle in spring practice with “beat Utah.”  They admitted that this was their number one goal.  I think the plan is to quietly go about their business.  It probably is still their top goal, just being quieter about it.

2 1

Danilo
      Ute Fan
      @dan7

Thanks for sharing

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

They’re basing their hoopla on TA all off of running all over that super weak slate last year….That’s crazy talk to think he comes anywhere near those #s this year & he’d have to to be considered top 10 nationally.

I’ll be absolutely shocked should they exceed bowl eligibility at just 6 victories.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

No one knows for sure and the same could be said for our Utes.  They play two easier Pac12 teams in UA and WSU.  IMO they will likely have losses against Utah, USC, and Virginia.  Who knows what ASU will or will not be.  The rest are likely wins IMO.  So I think 8 wins is a possibility.

Great1Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tribute

Good post.  Thanks for posting.

1.  I don’t see how QB play will NOT take a step back this year.  For one, there is not a QB in Provo as good as ZW.  But, even is ZW were still at BYU, and even assuming he improved himself this summer, I still believe his QB play would take a step back based on the losses to the offensive line and the improved competition BYU will face against this year.   

2.  I like four of BYU’s receivers.  I like Romney and Nacua 1.  Nacua 2 played well for us.  He is experienced and he will play in Provo. Pau’u is good too.  But we won’t have to scheme for any of those receivers like we will when we play USC and Oregon.

3.  I keep hearing about Algier–I think I heard someone say he weighs 240 and runs a 4.4.  But again, like the QB play, I believe that even if he better this year than last, he will still have less production this year based on the weaker offensive line and the improved strength of schedule. 

4. Agreed about the D line and corner–they are a concern.

5. 8 wins for this BYU team would be outstanding.  I would put the under/over at about 6.5: Wins against Arizona, Utah State, Idaho State, GA Southern, Southern Florida; Losses to Utah, Arizona State, USC, Baylor; Toss up Washington State, Virginia, Boise State.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Did you notice how the Y bumped up when they played half G5 and half FCS? I think they think their team improved in 2020. If that team came back and played this years schedule or last years original schedule they would need to get some 50/50 games to be bowl eligible. The RB would be very good in the FCS, and maybe of note playing in the G5. WR will be their strength but they depend on protection, a running threat, and the QB, all of which will make it difficult for the passing game to shine.

As football returns to normal, they will need to catch Az unready to play to get a P5 win. Virginia is not good this year but Bronco will have them play as well as they can against the Y. Boise State and UCF will keep them from a clean G5 slate. The FCS, who cares. They have 3 comfortable wins. By mid season, they will go back to talking about 2020. They need to fine a path to 6 wins.

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Do stake centers still show BYU games on the satellite TV? When I was young, I remember seeing flyers on the ward bulletin board about football games. I always thought it was strange because they never related it to scripture or showed a portrait of Helaman leading the striplings with a football and helmet or anything like that.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo From a friend inside the Provo locker room