Updated/Game week depth chart – on page 4&5

Viewing 3 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

For the most part it looks great to me, but I didn’t realize before how thin the Utes appear to be at the cornerback position. I know we have 3 legit corners in Johnson, Lewis, and Nurse, but beyond that should I be nervous? How many proven CBs are normally needed to constitute “depth”?

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

I think Broughton is a 4 star recruit at corner. good to see him in the 2 deep. What about Bronson Boyd?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

That is a lot of mass in the trenches. 

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Both sides, right? It’s like if your under 325, you’re too small.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Don’t like Simpkins (low ceiling, drops), Tafua (no pass rush, Tupai should be on the field as much as possible) and Burgess (Senior blocking better talent).  Okay with the rest.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Did Simpkins struggle with drops?  I remember him having some great catches last year.  Tafua and Tupai are co-starters (they were both highlighted on the depth chart).  We’ll have to see with Burgess, but Blackmon thinks he’ll have a Cody Barton type year.

OHIOUTE
          Ute Fan
          @ohioute22

Siosi Mariner was the big Dropsies guy….

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

That’s what I remembered.  I don’t remember a lot of targets for Simpkins, but he had some great plays when he was targeted.  My favorite was when he was dragging the pile at UCLA.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Simpkins has played in 40 games for Utes. He’s solid and gets separation. He’s a strong senior to have on the team. Burgess is the QB for that defense. He’s a smart senior. Tafua was a frosh last year and had a better work ethic than Tupai. I trust the coaches.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Simpkins is solid?  Solid starts on this team? No, we know who Simpkins is and isn’t.  Simpkins hasn’t produced in any of his 3 years like Dixon did in his 1 year.  Dixon and Enis > Simpkins.  BTW- Mariner shouldn’t have been playing last year certainly not in one of our biggest games ever…coaches make mistakes too.  Tafua has better work ethic?  Doesn’t cut it.  He couldn’t get around/off a block, almost completely unproductive as a pass rusher last year.  Let’s give it 3-4 games and revisit, maybe I’m wrong (I hope so) and I’ll admit it if I am, but I think I’ve seen enough to stand by what I said.

89ute
            Ute Fan
            @89ute

I asked Jaylon Johnson who is our best/toughest to defend receiver, he said without hesitation “Simpkins.”

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Updated/Game week depth chart – on page 4&5