Hearing rumors on Reddit about Cristobal leaving

Viewing 4 reply threads

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Oregon for Miami. Don’t know ow if it’s true or not, if it is, it’s an interesting wrinkle for tonight’s game.
      link

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I thought Miami announced they were keeping Diaz? But that move would make sense. I also wouldn’t be shocked by Cristobal to Oklahoma.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

They havent decided on that yet. I saw one guy say they will announce within a week and apparently the board is split on what to do with Diaz. UM doesn’t have an AD. Some of the board wants to replace him with a big hire, others want to wait for the new AD to do it.
        link

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Didn’t Miami just hire Gino Torreta? The speculation I saw was that Cristobal wouldn’t go back under the old AD but that he has a good relationship with Gino, who I believe was on the same National Championship team.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

There are tons of rumors flying out there about how the decision makers at Miami are split on keeping/firing Diaz. It’s entirely possible that their decision hinges on whether Mario says yes.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Edit: these are reddit rumors. Take it for what it’s worth.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Also hearing that Ludwig is linked to the Auburn OC opening, as he was Harsin’s qb coach when he was qb for Boise State back in the day. 

Then again, the report has a picture of Jim Harding and says that Ludwig played qb with Harsin (he was a WR at Portland State and is way older).

Salt heavily. 

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/auburn-offensive-coordinator-hot-board-who-auburn-is-considering/

Can’t picture Ludwig wanting to leave right now. Sure hope he stays, been nothing but impressed with him. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

That would suck. We finally have a stable OC. Hope he sticks around.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I thought I heard Ludwig say in an interview that he’s done moving around the country and is excited to be living back in Utah. Hoping he’s at a point where it’s not all about the money anymore. IMO, Ludwig has been the difference from our teams going from good to great.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Yeah, Ludwig definitely said he wanted to be here long term. You never know how a persons priorities may have changed post-covid, but I think he’s very well paid, and comfortable here with Kyle. They may go out together, which will suck.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

He did say he hopes this is his last job. But who wouldn’t say that? SEC coordinators can make one or two million per year, he’s getting something like 833k in Utah. Hope he sticks around.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Vandy is in the SEC, his old job… If you’re gonna make a million+ you can’t just work for any SEC team.

Gary Sapp
          Ute Fan
          @uofuman

With he and Kyle being so close, I would bet he hangs here.  We all love him now and he is having great success.  The only thing we would get else where that might be tempting is a shot at HC, and he’s said that’s not what he’s after.

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

Canzano: Miami is waiting on Mario Cristobal … but Oregon has its arms around him
      Updated: Dec. 03, 2021, 10:53 a.m. | Published: Dec. 03, 2021, 9:50 a.m.
      No. 10 Oregon at UCLA

Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal has two straight Pac-12 championships. He shoots for a third today in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)AP
      By John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive

LAS VEGAS — The University of Miami is a fighting mess right now. The Board of Trustees is divided but pulled together plans to interview athletic director candidates on Thursday and again today. After that, maybe it will hire a new head football coach. Or maybe not.

Which bring us to Clara Cristobal’s youngest son — Mario.

He was born in Miami, went to elementary school there, learned to drive his first car there and when it came time to pick a college he stayed home and became a Hurricane. Just last weekend Mario flew across the country in a rush to visit his mother who he said is sick and not doing well.

Cristobal arrived back in Eugene after the brief visit and said: “She’s fighting. That’s the best way to say it, and that’s exactly what I expected to see out of her. We’re going to go day-by-day.”

Oregon will play Utah today in the Pac-12 Championship game. Cristobal, 51, appears focused on the job he has to do. He pointed out that his mother, who instilled hard-scrabble work ethic and values in her children, would have wanted him to be with his team. She’d have told him to do the job to the best of his abilities and he always listened to his mother so that’s just what he’s doing.

Still, one source close to Cristobal told me late Thursday night, “The mom issue is rough. They’re very close and he’s struggling.”

It puts the football in perspective doesn’t it?

Miami may need a football coach in the coming days. If there’s a vacancy boosters in South Florida will undoubtedly pool resources and aim at some point to attempt to bring Cristobal home. I’m told by a source that Miami plans to attempt to talk with Cristobal and his agent after tonight’s championship game.

“They are going after Mario,” the source said.

I’m just not sold the Ducks coach would abandon what he’s built in four seasons at Oregon. He’s climbed three quarters of the way up the College Football Playoff mountain. His two children and wife, Jessica, by all accounts appear to love living in Eugene. Unless I’m reading it all wrong I can’t see Cristobal doing an about-face and descending to the bottom of that mountain so he can start the task over — even at Miami.

Would the UO coach maybe leave in three or five seasons? Sure, maybe if he’d hit the ceiling at Oregon or circumstances changed. What if Nick Saban retires and the Alabama job opens in a year or three? Yup. I’d bet AD Greg Byrne would have Cristobal on his short list. I’d even help the guy pack. But right now I’m all-in on the idea that Cristobal won’t do what Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly did this week to their universities.

Miami may be waiting on Cristobal today but I think it will always be there.

Instead, I think Cristobal will maniacally focus on beating Utah and ushering the Ducks to another Rose Bowl. Then, I suspect he’ll shift directions and jump on a private charter from Las Vegas and get to his mother’s side as quickly as he can. While all that’s going on I’m thinking Oregon AD Rob Mullens is playing some good defense. I haven’t been able to confirm this yet but I’m told the Ducks may already have a contract extension in front of Cristobal.

Conspiracy theorists noted on Thursday night that a flight plan was filed for a private charter from Miami to Las Vegas. It very could be a bachelor party or some whale who just likes to play roulette on The Strip every weekend. I received several inquiries from nervous boosters who noted the flight plan and wondered if the Hurricanes are planning to pounce on the Ducks’ coach with a hard sales pitch and a blank check should Oregon lose to Utah.

Coaches talk about family all the time in sports. They use it in recruiting and team building. I’m left thinking a little bit about how that extends to an entire university community. Utah, which had two players die in less than a year, is a wonderful example of that. The Utes pulled together, not just as a team but as a university community this season. It’s been a galvanizing ride to the title game for that program. Perspective is a powerful thing.

Meanwhile, there’s a lot going on today across the field for Oregon, isn’t there?

Cristobal’s mother is battling. Her son is thinking on her while trying to capture his third-straight Pac-12 title. His alma mater’s football program is splintered in pieces and looking in his direction for glue. The boosters at Miami are desperate and nobody seems to know who is in charge right now. Amid that, Oregon has to be focused on trying to put its arms around its football coach.

Not in some attempt to keep him in Eugene. But because it needs to let him know it’s there.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Hearing rumors on Reddit about Cristobal leaving