Here’s one answer to the smoke and mirrors that is the Utah Jazz.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Once teams figure out how to draw Rudy to the corner, the rest of the team isn’t long enough to guard the 3pt line nor big enough to stop the drives. Here’s my view:

A 6’1″ 175 lbs Mike Conley, a 6’1″ Donovan Mitchel, a 6’4″ “power forward” in Royce O’neal, and a 6’8″ european small forward that is 215 lbs with a below average NBA wingspan.

Which backcourt guard will guard Dallas’s 6’7″ 230 lb Luka Doncic who has a 7’4″ wingspan or a 6’6″ Spencer Dinwiddie? 

Based on size, this Utah team is not built to play top defense, especially if you’re achille’s heal is Gobert getting moved away from the basket. 

There’s two fatal flaws 1) having Gobert make up for everyone else’s size, length, strength deficiency and 2) having two backcourt defenders that are both 6’1″

The weird thing is, Conley’s opponents shoot much wors FG% thand do Mitchell’s. And Mitchell has a 6’10” wingspan to help make up for his undersizedness, he should be doing better. Does Mitchel have a contract with other guards in the league? We’ll go easy on each other each night we play each other?  Jalen Brunson’s 72 points in the last two games might give you pause. 

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Tweet

Here is Bogut’s analysis:

Andrew Bogut
      @andrewbogut

No Joe No Jazz.

Everyone needs an accountant to manage their books.

@Joeingles7
      https://twitter.com/troykburnett/status/1517332141570347008

Maybe losing Ingles had a bigger effect tyhan I ever would have guessed. At least he had length

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

I think Ingles was the heart of this team. No heart no life.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

It’s hard to argue with the results.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I don’t think I usually get so cynical about my teams but I feeling like I’m over Donovan.

Im a lifelong member of #teamRudy. And I just can’t fathom how Donovan has squandered playing with that guy. He’ll never be alongside a player of Rudy’s caliber again that is as non-ball dominant as Rudy is. Imagine being a scorer that is playing alongside a top 15 type player who takes 0 touches away from you on offense, allowing you to be all of who you are on offense all while helping you win at a high level and ….. blowing it. That’s what Don is doing.

The biggest indictment is that Don doesn’t average like 4 assists a game to Rudy. Joe Ingles made millions playing alongside Rudy and running a great pick n roll alongside him. And Donovan can’t seem to do that. It should be one of the most dominant PNRs in the game. But Don just wants to run into the jaws of lengthy doubles rather then setting things up with Rudy and filling the stat sheet for both of them. He could be sooo much better if he’d embraced Rudy.

It’s inexcusable that they have no offensive rapport. And I’m blaming the guy with the ball in his hands.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I have similar feelings back and forth about Donovan. I liked when he played next to a 6’7″ Joe Ingles…Don at the 1, Joe at the 2. This was was a backcourt that could play a little defense and help compliment Rudy. 

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

I miss me some prime Joe Ingles!

He was the man! I’m not crazy when I say he was drifting passed his prime time his year right? God bless Joe ingles!

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I agree with all of that.  I love bogey but I was daydreaming that we’d trade him for Harrison Barnes and his defensive length.  I’d heard it bandied about around the deadline but not in a serious way..

I’d also add that Dallas looks precise and tenacious in what they’re doing.  We just look like we don’t want it like them.  Like we’re picking our boogers in team meetings and practice while they’re locking in.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

Great point about Ingles’ P&R with Rudy. That is really missing with Joe gone. Conley too, to a lesser extent.

Agree about Donovan. He tries to take over games in the 4th q and takes stupid shots.

I’ve heard from someone who works for the Jazz that Rudy and Donovan really dont like each other; it is papered over publicly. I assume that has a lot to do with the lack of chemistry.

Also, Donovan doesn’t even try on defense. He plays matador defense as well as anyone. Clarkson too.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Matador defense…so true…let me step to the side and conserve my energy for offense. 

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

There’s a young lefty in NYC who averages 20ppg named RJ Barrett that I’m sure would appreciate a screen or two from Rudy Gobert in the P&R in SLC.

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

🤔🤔🤔 I like what you’re thinking…
          I’m kind of sad that I do…
          But I do….

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Conley has been so inconsistent this season with shooting and defense

O’Neals defense isn’t good enough to justify what you give up with his lack of offense

Mitchel isn’t able to control the game tempo, every time he tries to take over in the 4th the jazz fall on their face.

My hopes for next season:

The jazz need an actual point guard that can control the tempo of the game and score 10-12 points a game on a consistent basis.

Play butler more, he’s had games where he’s gone off and had an awesome preseason. No idea why he doesn’t get more minutes.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports NBA Here’s one answer to the smoke and mirrors that is the Utah Jazz.