Honest question on a difficult issue

Viewing 7 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

in 2008, we Ute fans were upset because we were not allowed to be national champs.  We were frustrated that the MWC was left out in the cold in college football.  The power conferences did not want to allow the non-power conference teams a seat a the table.

In 2021, we are at the table because we were invited by the PAC12 to join.  This was great for the Utes in so many ways.  However, we are at the crossroads of potentially huge changes.  Of course, our biggest concern is where the Utes end up with all of this.

BUT – is all of this fair to teams that are still on the outside looking in?  When we were outside, we all felt that it was not fair.  Is it fair today only because our Utes are in?  The changes that could potentially take place in the next few years could destroy the non-power conferences.  I can see four 16 team power conferences emerge.  It’s possible that they will not be able to play the “other guys.”

So is this fair to CSU, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, etc.  These teams have loyal fans.  This is a tough question for me because I am biased.  But, if it was wrong in 2008 – is it still wrong today?

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

Of course it is still unfair. We just happen to be on the beneficial side of that unfairness at the moment.

Would it be ideal to fight for more fairness/inclusion? Yes! However; realistically, how much say does Utah have in the matter?

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Oh, it’s TOTALLY unfair and biased, but honestly, that’s what college football has been about forever.  The haves and the have-nots.  That’s what made ’04 & ’08 so special for us… we crashed the parties those years.

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

Exactly.

It does suck. But if we try to keep every single program alive, whether or not they actually bring value to the rest of college football because we feel bad for their programs, our priorities are out of line.

Instead, I’m honestly for letting programs to die out if they fail to compete. I really like the system that the UK has for soccer (tier system where the best teams move up a level and the worst teams move down a level) every single year. It has its issues, don’t get me wrong, but that’s the whole point of competition. There has to be a winner so there HAS to be a loser.

There needs to be some kind of turnover in the system (programs dying and programs succeeding) in order for it to be a healthy system. These teams leftover in the BIG12 might just be left in the dust and I’m ok with that.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Honest question.  Does anyone over the age of 24 with any degree of life experience believe that “fair” is actually a thing much less achievable.  The quicker individuals realize that fair doesn’t exist and merit is only relative to relationships and networks the less disappointed life will make you. 

Over here in reality you put your own oxygen mask on first…

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

After more thought, I would like to see the conference champions of the top 10 conferences get an automatic bid into the playoffs with 12 teams. I am happy to see the PAC, B1G, ACC, and SEC champs get the first round byes. The G5 (or G6 depending on the outcome of the Big 12) champs come next with an at large team (1 or 2). The SEC just needs to be happy with the idea they will most often get double the teams into the playoffs as any other conference. All the remaining teams can go ahead and have a bowl season with as many games as TV will pay for.

2 1

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Charlie- I want to see the 12 best teams battle it out for a championship.  I have zero interest in seeing Alabama kicking the living hell out of Ball State.  The hardest part has always been figuring out who the best 12 teams are.  In this day and age, they ought to be able to figure out a formula that would work that would take most of the subjectivity out of picking the best teams.  If Ball State has an awesome year and they land in the top 12 then they should absolutely qualify because they earned their way.  If they were to adopt your plan, I’d want Utah to join the MAC as soon as possible so they could make the playoffs every year.  I don’t think trying to turn the college football playoff into March Madness would work.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

I think I agree with you. I just don’t think there is any reasonable way to compare one conference to another so the only way is to determine it on the field. The first round of playoff would only include the G5 champs and the at large. The first round winners would likely be the at large and the champions from what is left of the Bit 12 and the next best conference. The playoffs then begin in earnest the second week with pretty close to the 8 best teams. It is not the best but until there is such a thing as a fair ranking by a committee, I think it is the best thing to push back on the SEC which must be done. The BB committee thing only works because we start to loose interest who belongs before 64 teams are named. I would rather see a mismatch this way than a playoff of southern teams and one other. A committee will screw us.

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

How about the 10 Champions getting in with 6 at large teams. I really don’t believe the G5 schools have much chance, however it would lessen the whining about being left out. It would also be really cool when a big name school gets knocked out by the so called underlings. The FCS teams get 24 entries into the playoffs. That could also work if you want the best schools to get byes.
      The regular season would need to be shortened scheduled game to make up for the extra games some teams would be playing.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Although I recognize there will always be winners and losers, I will always support access for all FBS teams. Meaning, a team should have an opportunity to play its way into a playoff berth – even if it comes from a lesser conference. I would support a 12-team playoff, with auto bids for all P5 (er, P4) leagues and then an auto bid for the best of the rest.

If a non power school has an amazing year, they absolutely deserve the opportunity to be part of a playoff game. To me, that is a large part of what makes competition fun. You never know for sure until a game is decided on the field. If you don’t give teams the opportunity, it takes away the fun of cinderella teams and huge upsets. Might as well just schedule Alabama for the championship every year. Just as those undefeated Utah teams deserved a shot, others should also get a shot. Don’t put a ceiling on them before they even start the season.

I will never forget where we came from. 

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

When a school wins a conference championship that should not be the end of post season. Unless the G5/6 has their own playoff, they need to be included in the D1 playoff. Next, they need to decide if they want the glory of championship at their own level or to most often be a opening round speed bump for the top level. If BB is any indication, I expect they would prefer to compete for D1 championships. The money thing can be solved by making second round payouts much greater and so on. We already have Alabama vs Mercer, if you can hold your nose for that I expect the Southern Conference champ will go easier.

UteJape
      Ute Fan
      @jape1

The issue is the strength of the schedule. The P5 teams just have a bigger grind over a season. They face more talent week in and week out. BYU fans were crying foul that the Playoff committee didn’t have them in the top 10, but it was impossible to tell if they were a top 25 team with that schedule.

Yes, the occasional team will get hosed. But for the most part, the G5 teams are just not as good. Recruiting rankings are not perfect, but they’re fairly good indicators of team talent. No G5 team averages in the top 30. 

Brand names will get the benefit of the doubt and can lose games and stay ranked. But by far the easiest path to a ranking is playing bad teams and winning. 

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Honest question on a difficult issue