I like the Interlocking U’s at midfield but do not like them replacing the DNF

Viewing 5 reply threads

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

everywhere on Utahutes.com…

Looking at the wayback machine it happened sometime between April and August this year.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

Honestly, it’s complicated; you can’t really blame them.

The University has an image to maintain and there is nothing we can do about people who don’t understand the relationship between the University and the Ute Tribe(s).

I mean, to be completely fair, I don’t even know all the details of that relationship…

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

It was said a few years ago the University was not going to use the DnF in ‘permanent’ places, and that it would still be the athletics symbol for non-permanent use. Now, it seems it’s being replaced in the non-permanent places.

younglurch
          Ute Fan
          @younglurch

They’ve pretty much phased out the DnF across campus and have designated it as solely the atheltics logo. Now it appears as though they’re phasing it out of athletics as well.

Regarding the “Utes” moniker in general, I remember when a white professor at the U penned an op-ed in the Trib arguing the University should change the name out of respect to the tribe. Right after his op-ed was published, a Ute Tribe chairman responded with his own op-ed, directly calling the professor out for his “white savior” attitude. So it seems the tribe leadership is perfectly content with the agreement for the time being.

I don’t pretend to know what the right answer regarding the nickname is. Honestly, I think the U does a great job now respecting the name and educating students about the Ute tribe. But if the tribe ever decided they didn’t want to have the agreement in place anymore, I think we should absolutely change it.

Just my two cents.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I read that the interlocking U’s were something like 70% of the logo sales and DNF was around 20%. If people are buying the interlocking 70% and the DNF are 20%, it makes no sense to keep pushing the DNF. 

5 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We have a logo problem really.  We have at least 3 logos: Interlocking, D&F, Block U. 

3 3

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

And a mascot problem. Ute name is gone in 1-3 years or sooner. Only a matter of time. Would love to see a Utah fan poll on how many fans even know what Swoop is? UofU will pay some marketing firm $100K to come up with a catchy mascot name that has the most neutral impact possible. Probably down the same road as Stanford. The Utah Pine Cones, Utah Salt Lake, or The Utah Inversion. More pre-season angst…hurry up and start season :). Go Utes!

1 1

RedRocks
          Ute Fan
          @hypodactylus

The Utah Pine Cones, The Utah Inversion – haha!

Perhaps the Utah Fire or the Utah Smoke would do as well 😉

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Too insenstive to pine cones. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

The Utah Football Team. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

The Utah Crimson.

CincyUte
            Ute Fan
            @cincyute

It’s time we own it.

The Utah Cold Fusion.

5 3

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Yeah. I know there are those who seem to hate it, but I prefer the Interlocking U design; especially for apparel, stickers, etc.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

I think it is pretty great, too. It looks so good on the throwbacks.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

You aren’t the only one. The interlocking U’s is the best selling logo by a large margin. 

McBride of Frankenstein
        Ute Fan
        @mcbrideoffrankenstein

pretty common to have alternate logos … think of the Utah Jazz for example.  

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Just change to Utah Red Rocks already. Bring out the D&F for Ute proud games

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

I heard that when they redid the field, the Athletic Dept wanted to put a small drum and feather to mark each of the kick off x’s at the 35, and each of the PAT’ x’s, but couldnt get permission from higher ups (dont know who).  

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

It is disrespectful to the Ute Tribe to step on the D&F, which is why there won’t be one on the field. 

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

I’ve heard the D&F is difficult to use universally as a logo since the circle isn’t centered.  It’s awkward to use in many situations. Given that they seem be aiming for an eventual universal look (which is a must for good branding), it makes sense that they’d move away from it.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

All I can say is this – President Randall is a die hard Ute sports fan. If there’s any way in his tenure that he can save the drum & feather, he will proactively pursue that. If it continues to be phased out, then there’s not much he can do about it and there likely isn’t any choice.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Politics and social justice feelings aside . . . I like the interlocking U design alot.  If we ever get rid of the drum and feather and go strictly to the interlocking U design, I think I’d actually be okay with that.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Me too, I’m good with the interlocking U logo. And I definitely prefer it to the Block U. I used to like the Block U until ESPN came out with ESPN U. Once that happened I can’t help but think of ESPN every time I see it.

Regarding catchy new mascots in the event the administration feels compelled to move away from Utes….I think it’s already been determined that we would be the Utah RedHawks. I think that’s why Swoop was instituted as a Red-tailed Hawk. No idea if that type of hawk is found in Utah or not but I’d think that’s why they chose it looking for something that’s red.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

I love both the Drum & Feather, and the Interlocking U’s.  I HATE the Block U.  

I love our mascot being the Utes too.  They’re an indiginous tribe to the location our campus sits, and it has a nice ring of alliteration to it.  I HATE Swoop.  He looks like a giant chicken on steroids, and we are NOT the Redtail Hawks.  We’re more badass than that.  We’re Utes.  And while we’re not the first university of have a branded mascot that has nothing to do with the university — see Stanford’s tree, Texas A&M’s Marine Corps drill sergeant and border collie, Auburn’s War Eagle, and whatever that thing is at Western Kentucky — I still think it’s lame.  Florida State’s Chief Osceola and Renegade is more to my liking.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I like the Interlocking U’s at midfield but do not like them replacing the DNF