I love Utah fans (not really).

Viewing 5 reply threads
      5 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

It’s crazy how many don’t like a guy who played, coaches at and his dream job is Utah’s head coach. 

The good news is, much like how all the Whitt detractors are dead silent right now, all the anti Andersen people will be gone by this time next year. 

He is a Utah man through and through, and a damn fine head coach…and he will be a position coach for us. That’s how much he loves Utah. 

Lucky us and great for our defense. 

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

You don’t like yourself? One who praised TW during camps, then cursed him during the season? One who thinks Chris Petersen is a much worse coach than Whitt. Utah fans (not all, obviously) are different from fans of other schools/teams/level…how?

FWIW…not that I really care, but just making some observation. 🙂

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

As one of those who is uncertain about Anderson, @Utah almost always has very good insight. Also, if memory serves, he was pro-Huntley through all of camp and was one of the few people saying that Huntley should start over Williams from jump-street.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I was pro Huntley. In the spring game, Huntley made two throws on an early drive…I knew then he’d start for us. I posted back then how he looked like a Troy Taylor QB and if he could cut down on TO’s, he’d be the guy.

Then the fall hit, and Troy couldn’t separate himself. Then you’d see Huntley make plays that no QB at Utah has made. Then, when Carrington came here, you now had a security blanket for Huntley. There was no need for Troy anymore (which is too bad for Troy. He is an amazing man).

I was mocked. lol. Oh well. I was told Huntley couldn’t throw the ball. Williams was this and that. ha ha.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

I hope he takes Alex Grinch him. Leach Offense plus Grinch Defense plus Tennessee recruits will be a lot of fun. And that will get one of the best Defensive minds out of the PAC-12.

Edit- this was supposed to go under the Leach to Tenn thread. Not sure why it posted here.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

It’s not that he isn’t liked, but rather he hasn’t proven to be an upgrade as so many seem to believe.  If Utah wants to recruit California, Texas, Florida, then get some coaches on staff that are from those areas.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Hasn’t proven to be an upgrade?

He helped Utah win two BCS bowls.
        He turned USU into a legitimate program.
        He took Wisconsin to another level recruiting and competing for Big 10 titles…or at worst, he kept that program humming.

He is by far the best coach we could hire, resume wise.

Yeah, he failed at OSU. Every coach fails. I’d bet that if he could go back to Wisconsin and see where everything is now, Whitt still at Utah, OSU where they are, etc, he’d stay in Wisconsin.

BUT, I’m ok with it, because we get Gary back home and we MAJORLY upgrade our coaching staff.

1 1

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

He was successful in the MWC, and the Big 10, let me know when either of those divisions produce QB’s like Rosen, Darnold, Browning, Tate, Huntley, Herbert, Falk all in the same year. 

Sorry if I don’t see an upgrade in a coach who lost to Utah, and walked out on his team… Guess I’m just a dumb Utah fan that would rather see a former linebacker from Florida who played at Miami and transferred to Utah and would give Florida kids some great perspective.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Any sort of doubt or discussion means you are dumb. It isn’t like Whitt has made several mistakes hiring within his circle repeatedly. Why would you doubt his decision making at all with his current track record of hiring the great TT from E Washington???

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Was the defense under GA successful at USU and Wisconsin because of GA or Dave Aranda?

1 1

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Pump the brakes just a touch on his time at Wiscy. Gary took over a team that had just gone to its third straight Rose Bowl. His best wins include Nebraska, Minnesota, and Rutgers in 2014, and Iowa, Minnesota, BYU-P, and Indiana in 2013. None of those teams ended up ranked.

I like Gary, he is a good guy. He is a tough-minded Defensive coach most of the time (though he LOVES a Prevent Defense, and has a tremendous string of last-minute losses to prove it).

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Your attitude is exactly what is wrong with the world. Labeling all Utah fans as this and that. Saying you don’t enjoy our company or discussion. Making blanket statements when maybe people question having GA on staff.&

Again GAs problems lie in facts which you choose to ignore. Who cares about his passion I personally don’t want a flake on the staff. So you are saying he is soooooo passionate he literally crashed and burned in Corvallis? Even Reilly had some success there.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

First, you are right, I should not have labeled all Ute fans with this brush. Most of us are fantastic, intelligent people. But there is a shocking amount of fans that are just…dumb. 

His positivies waaaaaaayyyyy out weigh his negatives, yet there is a certain faction of our fanbase who think he is the worst coach to ever walk the earth. 

Let’s look at Gary Andersen:

1 – Utah DL coach when we won the Fiesta Bowl.

2 – Utah DC when we won the Sugar Bowl. 

3 – What he did at Utah State was unreal. 

4 – He is a great recruiter. Look what he did at Wisconsin. 2012 class: ranked 65. His next two classes? 40, 32. 

5 – Yeah, he left Wisconsin, but there were a million reasons why he did so.

6 – He failed at OSU. Plain and simple.

So, he built up a powerhouse program with Whitt, won two BCS bowls. Went to USU, built that program into a top flight G5 program. He went to Wisconsin and at worst, kept them going at the same level. BUT, reality is, he took them to the next level as well, playing in the Big 10 title game. He is a great evaluator of talent (look at all the pros he recruited at Utah and USU). 

Look at all that good. Yet, some are p**sed over some end of the roster players that he talked into USU over Utah and a couple kids he took to Wisconsin. Boohoo. OSU wasn’t great, but to discount all the good because of OSU…not the smartest move either. 

We’d be lucky to have Gary on the team. He’d be the second best coach and it wouldn’t even be close. He be our best recruiter…well, Shah is pretty damn amazing too. He would be fantastic for Scalley as a mentor. 

We’d be insane to look anywhere else if he is willing to come to Utah. 

The question isn’t whether we’d want him, the question is whether he’d want us (and the answer is yes. Utah is his dream job). 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I am keeping in my mind what he potentially can bring. But I can’t ignore the RECENT negatives. It seems like he was exchanging texts with a local PK in oregon ie a pot stirrer. I think the guy needs to get his head straight before he starts coaching kids. 

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

If we cant have dissenting views or give opinions, even if pessimistic regarding any aspect of the Ute program then what’s the point of having a discussion. Just talk to yourself and forget any dialogue.

I have stated my views:
      – Whitt is a good coach overall but questionable game theory in the heat of battle
      – No reason why Utah should not win the South once every 5 years or so
      – Very disappointed that we are the only team in South not to win title and play in conf championship game since inception of Pac 12
      – do not agree with the majority of opinions that Utah inherently cant compete or should be satisfied with current level of performance. Utah has generated a good amount of NFL talent (3rd most in Pac 12) so we can get recruits.
      – all in all: Good program that could be better

This is one dumb Utah fans opinion

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I love Utah fans (not really).