I saw a couple of post scrimmage interviews last night

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

This is simply my perception.

They seem to be confident, but not c**ky.  Everyone mentions that there is a lot of work to be done.  I think this is exactly where you would want our team to be.  I want them to be confident in their abilities and feel like they can go down to the swamp and win.  Yet, I hope they take nothing for granted.

I think every team will struggle to stop our tight ends and running backs.  We are very good and deep at these two positions.  An experienced QB is a game changer in college football.  I am confident that our offense will do well.

IMO, our defense is still a little unknown because of key losses.  However, I am optimistic that we can in time replace these guys.  It appears that our biggest challenge against Florida will be defending the run game.  I think we have the corners and safeties to keep the passing game in check.  Can our new linebackers step up and stop the rushing attack of the Gators?

4 1

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I don’t have the brain power to determine the strength of our defense. However, from what you seem to be saying about the defensive corps, I wonder if our top 10 preseason rankings are due to the belief that we will simply outscore teams.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Just one old guy’s opinion is that our offense will be our strength this season.  I think the defense has the potential to be good, maybe very good.  I just don’t see our front seven being as good as we have seen in previous years, especially 2019.  We had three all-conference D-linemen who were drafted into the NFL in 2019 and many other excellent D-linemen in the last decade.  I think our LB room is stacked and I think some of these guys will be great.  But, we don’t have a lot of experience.  Diabate has playing experience and I hear good things about his skills.  But, he has not played a down in this defense yet.  I think we are in great shape at CB and Safety. (Injuries could change that as it did in 2021.)

Go Utes!!!

4 1

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I understand. Thank you. 3Sep cannot get here soon enough.

LetItRide
          Ute Fan
          @letitride

Our pass rush will be the key element for this season. That may be our biggest question mark on D.

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

You are probably right.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

I think we have some legit speed rushers on the edge this year so I think the pass rush will be better than you might think. Tafuna inside and Van on the strong edge requires a lot of help so we’ll have a lot of weak side one on ones. In the past, guys like Star and Leki were tasked with eating up double teams and gap control vs creating pressure. We’re a little lighter but have more quickness at DT this year so I think we’ll actually get home up the middle more than we’ve seen in the past.

ProudUte
              Ute Fan
              @proudute

OnlyU, I don’t think you have ever been wrong.  So if you post it – I am going to drink the koolaid. 🙂

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

Lol…I’m wrong plenty just not so much on here. If we can stay in predictable pass/run situations I think Scalley will be able to dominate with skill sets at DE. He’s got a ton of flexibility and even a couple 4.5/40 guys on the edge. BUT strong in the rush doesn’t mean strong against the pass so the more “one dimensional” the better.

I do think “pressure vs. knock back” in the middle will be different and that should change things in a good way in terms of DT pressure.

ProudUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @proudute

Thanks for your detailed information.

prestitute
                  Ute Fan
                  @prestitute

I rhink if we get steong, consistent pressure, this will be a playoff team (barring major injuries). I think our biggest issue in the Rose was that in the 2nd quarter,.tOSU adjusted protections and gave Stroud enough time to let his dudes separate. Our DBs are good, but they are GREAT with pressure up front. MKing rhe QB throw early ir in a hurry is how we create our turnovers, even when we don’t get home per se. When we have true beasts up front, we tend to really shine everywhere else, too.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I saw a couple of post scrimmage interviews last night