I was asked to rank Utah's assistant coaches

Viewing 3 reply threads
      3 4

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

There are two ways to go about doing this; first would be to rank them by skill/level of competence. IE, In a vacuum, which coach is more experienced/wanted. For example, in this way, Scalley is a better coach than Shah. OR, you can rank them by importance to the University of Utah. In this case, Shah is much more important than Scalley. As much as we love Scalley, if we lost him today, we’d be fine. Gary would hop in as DC and at worst, our defense would stay the same.

I’m going to rank them by who is most important to the University of Utah.

Tier 1:
      1 – Gary Andersen – He is number one. He is arguably the best recruiter on staff (with Shah and Fred Whittingham and Harding). He has been a very successful head coach at Utah State and Wisconsin, he was an amazing DC. We could lose a lot of coaches and he could easily slip into their seat and keep this truck rolling, including Whittingham.
      2 – Sharrieff Shah – What he has done for our recruiting is stunning. What he has done for our CB’s is even more stunning. I’d put him as the second most important assistant coach we have. He has built up recruiting relationships that are priceless. We are lucky to have him.
      3 – Jim Harding – He is the offensive Shah. His recruiting ability, including landing Bolles, our highest ranked recruit ever, his consistency in putting players into the NFL, the job he has done with our OL and the week in, week out improvement we have with our OL, the most important position in football…when we lose Harding, we will lose a lot.

Tier 2:
      1 – Scalley – I would have had him Tier 1 before getting Andersen. Now that we have Andersen, Scalley, as great of a coach as he is, is less important. In fact, I’ve said over and over that getting Andersen has hurt Scalley in that he will need to leave Utah and be a successful HC somewhere else before he is HC at Utah. I have a very strong feeling that at the end of the season he will be a HC somewhere else…and that Provo will be desperate for him to be theirs…hopefully he is smarter than that.

2 – Troy Taylor – I want so badly for him to move up. There was flashes last year that he will move up. BUT, right now, with how many OC’s we’ve had…He is in the second tier. And that is ok. Because he did an ok job last year. We did see improvement as the year went on. And I think we see a big jump this fall and he moves up.

3 – Guy Holliday – Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. And he does it and does it well. And, he coaches a position that gets better and better every year. Holliday not being retained by BYU was about as dumb a move as anyone could have made. For being led by Jesus, that school sure doesn’t seem to have any clue to what they are doing down there.

Tier 2a:
      1 – Fred Whittingham – He can recruit the hell out of anyone. Tuttle anyone?

2 – Lewis Powell – Same. AND, I’m being generous with Powell at this level. He should probably be a level lower. BUT, with his recruiting ability and Gary teaching him the ropes, he will be here in no time. Lewis Powell is Sharrieff Shah during his first couple of years. Everyone is complaining about him, he’s a Whitt guy, he hasn’t landed a big time recruit, blah, blah, blah. In two years, just like Shah, he will be a lot more valuable.

Tier 3:
      1 – Kiel McDonald – If Moss is drafted in the first three rounds and we get a couple big time RB’s, he jumps up.

2 – Justin Ena – Uh….I like him.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Recruiting is a team effort. Fred Whitt was the lead recruiter, but Troy Taylor is 90% of the reason Jack Tuttle came here.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Nope. Tuttle committed when ARod was here. Hiring Taylor helped keep Tuttle here, but Taylor was far from 90% of the reason. 

Fred and ARod got Tuttle here. Fred kept Tuttle here. Taylor was the icing on the cake. 

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

He verbally committed when A-Rod was around, but didn’t really sign until Dec 20, 2017. In between he had a ton of big-name schools calling him. I just can’t see him turning down Bama, USC, Wisconsin, etc, if A-Rod was still here.  I like A-Rod a lot and he was a very good recruiter, but a Top 10 QB doesn’t come here to run an A-Rod offense.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Assuming BYU is looking for a new coach after this season, I doubt they look very seriously at Scalley. Nothing against Scalley, but I think having been burned by Utah D-Coordinators twice(Whit turning them down, and Sitaki not meeting expectations) will leave them looking elsewhere for a more experienced head coach. I could see them going after Jay Hill. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I could see them doing that. Their pool is so small. The real question is, why would Scalley or Hill take that job? 

I bet Fresno State opens up after this year and Tedford gets a promotion. If I was Scalley, I’d be aiming for that job right now. Same recruiting footprint, good football school, easy to succeed at. 

Go there, win 10+ for 3-5 years, come back when Whitt retires. That would be a dream come true. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

That being said, if BYU went back to a conference, it becomes a great job again. Easy schedule, good access to recruits, waaay more money than their conference mates. 

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

I think Jay Hill is a much better HC pick than Scalley, simply because he has a lot of HC experience now. And I hope Sitake gets at least 2 more years to work out. The byu-P owes it to him, considering how they hamstrung him by picking his coordinators for him.

I am a big fan of Scalley and he is closely tied to my family. But he really needs several years of HC experience before I want to see him Back as our HC.  The Fresno State job would be amazing for him.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

There’s a few reasons both of them might take the BYU job. 1) They would be a D1 FBS head coach, 2) They could stay in Utah, 3) It would be a big pay raise for either of them.

I get that it doesn’t seem like a very attractive job, and is a bit of a no-win situation right now, but it’s not as if they failed to win at BYU it would be the end of their coaching careers.  

noneyadb
            Ute Fan
            @noneyadb

I don’t see Scalley ever taking the HC job at Brigham. Besides everybody knows Andy Reid is their next HC…

Onlyu
              Ute Fan
              @uf8fl

Morgan doesn’t take the BYU job…Just not in him to do so.  You won’t find a guy besides a few here that is more of a Utah guy than he is. UTE!! 

He’ll have other options if he chooses but comes from a great successful family and has carved out a very good living on his own coaching.  The lure of the money is probably secondary to a head job so he’ll look for the right situation and it’s not taking over for a fired friend in Sitake IMO.  

Jay Hill has kind of removed himself from being a “Utah guy” by going to Weber so would be a more likely fit.  That said, I don’t think TDS could risk a second former Ute coach back to back with their fan base.  Holmoe wouldn’t survive if they struggled early.   Not that they have any options but I think they’d go straight to their new annointed hero in Grimes.  That’s of course before he has coached a game.

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

If BYU wins only five or six games, I expect BYU will let Sitake go, and he will be taking a year off, before landing as an assistant, somewhere else. Utah’s defense maybe just that good, and a defensive coach or two may take promotions elsewhere. Who knows, maybe Kalani comes back to Utah. Does anybody else think that Anderson and Sitake my be a good combination when Wittingham retires? Not so sure myself, just interesting, how circular, coaching is in Utah.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I’m guessing Kyle coaches for another 5 years. At that point Gary will be 59 years old. Our next head coach will not be someone in the twilight of their career.  

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Man, five years is a lifetime. I could see Gary being our coach. Utah wins the PAC-12 and rides off into the sunset. Scalley is somewhere else. Gary is our DC and we have a lot of kids returning. I could easily see Andersen as the HC for 5 years to keep it going until Scalley or someone else proves their worth 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I was asked to rank Utah's assistant coaches