If only we had freshmen RB, QBs, etc…

Viewing 3 reply threads

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

of course we do. I know there are challenges playing true freshmen, but desperate times…

homer
      Ute Fan
      @homer

The team is 4-0. The coaches seem to know what they are doing.

6 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Seriously this. I don’t get all the complaining. We are 4-0 against the best OOC schedule we’ve faced in a long time.

I would imagine our offense would perform a little better if they let Nate throw the ball a bit more, but that comes with the risk of turnovers, and the potential that our defense ends up on the field for more time. By running the ball as often as possible we are shortening the game and decreasing the likelihood that our defense tires out early enough in the game that the other team can make a comeback.

When we needed to throw the ball to win against Baylor, we did just that, and it worked out well. We didn’t need to throw the ball any more than we did yesterday. If we need to throw the ball to win against Oregon State, we will throw the ball.

2 1

RedRocks
          Ute Fan
          @hypodactylus

4-0 is great, but I disagree with your claims about running the ball.

UCLA knew Utah was going to keep running the ball in the second half. There was nothing creative and no real attempts to mix it up. As a result, UCLA was able to stop Utah and force a punt on every offensive possession in the second half (except the final kneel-it-out drive).

I have watched a lot of Utah football and I like this team. However, the offense is offensive and the play calling appears dismal. Football is entertainment; that offense was not entertaining.

Kudos to the defense though.

lgt4141
            Ute Fan
            @lgt4141

Before the season started, If any of us would have been told the Utes would be 4-0 without Cam Rising this season none of us would believe it.

If anything this is a testament to recruiting and coaching. We all want to see the offense match the defense but what the coaches and play area have done so far is pretty incredible.

22Ute22
            Ute Fan
            @utedagoat

It’s not even just about running the ball. Why don’t we ever do power runs to the outside? Seems like every single run we do is up the middle and it’s infuriating

//r00t4Utes
            Ute Fan
            @r00t4utes

Yes, sports are entertainment, but Whitt’s job is to win games and while the offense wasn’t very, the defense was more then entertaining.

With that said, I was yelling at my TV with the play calling, after the game and listened to the coach Whitt’s interview he made a point to say it was intentional with his the game unfolded.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

We have come a long way as a football program. No longer is a 7 point win against a ranked team acceptable. Game plans under any circumstances that do not include offensive fireworks are unacceptable. A good part of the fan base has developed football acumen beyond even some very successful coaches. Winning with defense is simply not entertaining enough.

I don’t think we are seeing the strategy intended for this year, likely we are seeing plan H and it is amazing plan H is getting wins. I don’t think we saw the strategy intended for yesterday. Maybe we saw a measured win using QB3 and RB3 while not putting them to too much risk since it is hard to imagine continuation if we lost one of them. How could the coaches not seen incredible bad luck with injuries and recruited even better than our best year in history last year? Or maybe the coaches are doing quite well in chaos.

The heads up I saw on UCLA was their front seven was the strength of their entire team and 3rd and long going against them should be considered highly unlikely. We could let them chase our last serviceable QB around, or we could run our last serviceable RB into the line. Maybe both boiled down to advantage UCLA. Maybe we chose to run the clock and expose the QB and RB as little as possible. Maybe we would have seen different adjustments in a tied game. Maybe there were details known by the coaches that are unknown even to a very informed peanut gallery (do not take offense, I consider myself no more than informed peanut gallery having never been to practice).

I had the same feeling watching the game. Why is NJ not passing more? Why are the TEs in protection and not used more as a target? Why don’t we vary the runs more? Then I started to wonder what the coaches are seeing and thinking that I didn’t see. It nearly got in the way of seeing one of the very best defensive performances in a very long time. The cherry on top was the last drive by UCLA. With everything on the line, time running out, and with all the weapons, UCLA was to be very difficult to stop in a 4 down offense. Who could have guessed that 3 out of 4 snaps would be sacks with each play keeping the clock running. Very big defensive performance.

I don’t know what the coaches have been thinking but they are way ahead of me and are doing an amazing job without Rising, Bernard, Kuithe, O’Toole and so many others that would make the ride smother. Why not just enjoy the ride?

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

I don’t necessarily disagree with your opinion. I really did enjoy how our D lit them up most of the game. I didn’t even mind all the running plays.
          The problem was not calling the running plays, but the fact that 95% of them were up the middle with a back who is notorious for going down with first contact.
          I’m no coach but you would think they might try to get him outside where he could be more dangerous. Run some sweeps or counters or some kind of misdirection. It may not have worked, but I don’t think it would have been much worse.

1 2

McBride of Frankenstein
        Ute Fan
        @mcbrideoffrankenstein

I guess that means don’t second guess any decisions on this board. …. that would be a boring forum.

My point is that when you think of playing Vincent, who isn’t bad, you still have to ask: is he our best option? We should be more open to using freshmen talent as a safety valve.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I saw one of the greatest defensive performances I’ve ever seen. Yeah, the offense sucked, but at the same time, we shut the offense down. We know it sucked. BUT

Defensively…wow. What a performance. Absolutely incredible.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

In 116 games, Chip Kelly’s offenses have been held to 10 or less three times. 2 of those were to Kyle Whittingham’s Utes.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football If only we had freshmen RB, QBs, etc…