Ute Fan
      @cjd1

KelVarnsen
      Ute Fan
      @kelvarnsen

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Mariner said exactly what I’m thinking and posted below. It seems like many are staring there dislike for Scalley as a person and that he traded them a certain way “call it ignorance” Mormon white priv whatever. But never specially used racial slurs towards them. Lacy is the one claiming that he called him that terrrible word and there are two sides to everything. Not sure what to think. Other than once again in any context white people should never use that word even in jest or respect or whatever.

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

The thing that makes me scratch my head with the Lacy accusations is that he said he called Scalley out in front of the whole team in 2013. But I’ve seen players from the 2013 team say they didn’t know anything about it.

Perhaps every player wasn’t present when this all went down but it seems like something they would have heard about at some point, right?

Man, I just don’t know. I think I just gotta stay off social media for a while and just wait until actual facts come out. Either way, I have always loved Morgan. As a player and a coach. I just wish the best for him.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

It’s possible it was done in a DB meeting so the entire team would not have been. Who knows. Like you, I’m not getting on social media much these days. Ute Hub is about the most I do. I hope Scalley can overcome this.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

I too had only read about Lacy calling out Scalley for using the N-word, and per Lacy, he allegedly called him out on it in 2013.  All the other guys were saying stuff like “it doesn’t surprise me” — essentially admitting that they’d never heard him say it.

If you look even further into all the former Utah athlete tweets, the biggest “shock” seem to come from those who’d played after 2013 — essentially suggesting that this sort of offense hadn’t been repeated beyond Lacy’s 2013 admonishing.

Furthermore, Scalley’s supporters don’t appear to be just the athletes beyond 2013.  There’s guys coming forward in support of Scalley that predated even Sean Smith.

Conclusion:  There’s very little evidence pointing to Coach Scalley being a bonafide racist.  Conversely, large amounts of evidence continues to pour in from former black athletes that he is NOT!  At worst, Scalley is guilty of being “ignorant” to certain racial sensitivities.  And being that Scalley had been born and raised in Utah — a place widely devoid of racial minorities — this shouldn’t come as such a surprise.

In lieu of “firing” him, just give the guy some HR mandated racial sensitivity training, and move on.  

And for what it’s worth, it might not be such a bad idea to give ALL coaches and university faculty members mandatory racial and sexual sensitivity training in the path forward.  Most corporations already do this, and when I was in the Navy — way back in the 1990s — this training was annual!

1 8

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Unfortunately in this day of cancel culture ignorance is just as bad as being a full blown racist. I don’t see how the U of U can keep him around. Maybe 30 years ago, but these days it’s a no.

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

I understand what you are saying, but I hope he remains a Ute.  The culture may make it impossible, but for heaven’s sake a single tweet using this very inappropriate word once – seems like a weak reason to fire him.  If it wasn’t because of the horrific murder of George Floyd, I don’t think there would be a doubt that he would remain, but everything changed 13 days ago.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

Not even a tweet . . . it was a private text.

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

I completely agree. I just don’t see how it can be possible to keep him these days. I hope I’m wrong.

1 2

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

And for what it’s worth, it might not be such a bad idea to give ALL coaches and university faculty members mandatory racial and sexual sensitivity training in the path forward.

Every U employee already has to do this every year. And yet he still felt OK texting that word to a coworker (it went to a recruit, but he intended it to go to a coworker).

What Morgan needs is a suspension without pay and a speaking assignment at one of the Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion events. That will leave a more lasting impression than the annual training most of us sleep through.

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

I read an excerpt of an article by Kamrani it seems like Morgan’s problem is one of ignorance. And I think to cure that, GFAF’s proposed solution might be the appropriate one.

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

GFAF?  I’m not familiar with that term.  Who/what is it?

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Interesting tweet by Raelon Singleton.