Is a player is down if the ball in his hand touches the ground?

Viewing 5 reply threads

ravensute
      Ute Fan
      @ravensute

I can’t find a definitive answer and heard both at the game – anyone know the specific rule that addresses whether a non-fumbled ball touching the ground is a dead ball?

Whittingham seemed to be yelling at the refs after the Stanford QB righted himself by touching the ball to the ground, and I always thought that ended the play in football, but I can’t find the actual rule that says that – so I’m probably wrong. 

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

my gut reaction is not down. But we are both probably wrong somehow. still wrapping my head around the hand touching the pylon call from last week.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

My understanding of the rule is that a player is NOT down if the ball alone touches the ground.  

tysnowboarder88
      Ute Fan
      @tysnowboarder88

He is not down. His elbow or forearm would have had to touch the ground with him holding onto the ball for him to be down.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Hand isn’t down.  But ball seems like it should be but that is just a fumble pickup essentially if no other part of the body is down. 

PNW Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pnwute

Player isn’t down if the ball touches the ground. If that were the case, no one could ever return a fumble, as soon as they grabbed the ball on the ground, they would be down.

There is nothing in the rules about a player being down or not if the ball touches the ground. Player is only down if a part of their body other than hand or foot touches the ground. Ball is not part of their body.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is a player is down if the ball in his hand touches the ground?