Is Lander Barton the next Eric Weddle?

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Link to article

Nice article on Lander Barton. Whitt mentions the possibility of Lander Barton playing on both sides of the ball at Utah. Whitt said on his coach’s show last night if Lander wanted to play tight end – he would be the best in the PAC12. It would be fun to see Barton getting some reps at tight end.

I loved it when Weddle played some on offense in his senior year. I think that season he had a pick-6, punt return for a TD, running TD, receiving TD, and passing TD. Weddle brings back a lot of fond memories.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Having one of our best defenders take hits on the offensive side of the ball in a year where injuries are already out of control? No thank you.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Agree. But next year, when there’s no Kuithe (maybe?) nor Yassmin? Juicy

Roy Rangum
        Ute Fan
        @royrangum

I understand that with increased exposure is the possibility of injury, but if Barton is capable of playing both sides of the ball and both he and the coaches want him to play both sides, I say let him play.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I get what you are saying. Whitt did not suggest that Lander would play offense this season, but very possibly before he leaves Utah.

That being said, we are probably deeper at LB than any other position right now, so who knows…

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Reminiscent of Brian Uhrlacher.

1 7

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Comparisons… I remember comparisons on this board of Glover (around his commitment date) to Ty Jordan, LOL not remotely close. Weddle platooned out of necessity. We had no skill players that were healthy or talented. You should hope Barton never platoons regularly because if he is we’re in a bad place.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I wasn’t trying to compare Weddle to Barton in any way except playing on both sides of the ball. Should Barton play some tight end? It’s not for me to say. Would I think it would be fun to see him play some tight end? Yes I do. Would I have him play a lot on offense? No.

By the way, Whitt said that Lander has the skills to play RB or tight end. So, He think Lander has Weddle like skills.

1 5

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

“The next Eric Weddle” might throw some people off.

ProudUte
            Ute Fan
            @proudute

Weddle and Barton do not play the same positions and have different athletic styles. Barton can never be Eric Weddle. Again, the only comparison is playing on both sides of the ball. I do not expect Barton to return punts, play Corner, or QB.

1 1

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Please God, NO!

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Lander played TE in camp for a few weeks. He’s very comfortable there but this year it would be most likely in an emergency role.

What he decides to play in the future will be interesting because his upside as a TE is off the charts.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Yeah but he’s such a good LB, and he’s sooooo young!

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

I don’t disagree Tony but NFL longevity probably doubles as a TE vs LB. His family is now very knowledgeable about the inner workings of the NFL and where the money is. If Lander played 14 years as a TE and 8 as a LB he’d come out millions ahead and with a body that might still work.

Not saying that’s what happens but it’s a consideration

EmersonUte
              Ute Fan
              @blpace

that’s fascinating. Makes me wonder if we will see (or maybe already are starting to see) talent get away from the running back position. Seems like they’ve been heavily de-valued. Conversely its a spot we seem to always be able to get better than average guys in.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is Lander Barton the next Eric Weddle?