Johnston leaving

Viewing 16 reply threads
      1 1

UtahManPodcast
      Ute Fan
      @utahmanpodcast

Chayden Johnston announced via twitter he is leaving the program to pursue his career in healthcare.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

This is really my only concern. Not the 0 line – not the backers, our place kicking. It could lose us a game or two.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

wow… I don’t blame him, but it must have been really bad if it came to this. I can’t imagine that these issues were presenting themselves in practice over the last two years, otherwise Whitt would have done something about it. The pressure must have really got to him. Just craziness.

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

6 FGs against Oregon last year including a 55 yarder and a 41 yarder. Different game with a below average kicker. Hopefully it won’t matter this year but it probably will.

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

It will probably make us more aggressive in our play calling inside the 40 since we won’t have a near guarantee of 3 points.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Considering how dominant Utah has been in Special Teams the last decade, how brutal would it be to have our best team not reach their potential because we have mediocre special teams?

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Who is the backup – er, starting – kicker?

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Is it too late to receive a transfer? Maybe there’s a decent kicker sitting on the bench somewhere else that sees an opportunity.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

No it’s not too late. Utah does have another kicker, not on scholarship. Once spring ball wraps up everywhere, you’ll see more names in the potal.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

We have one guy Jason Redding. Missed a 31 yard kick in the spring game. This is a real problem.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

“Ball did not go through the uprights.”

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Maybe this will make the offense more aggressive? Knowing they don’t have the safety net of an automatic 3 points. I’ll gladly trade more touchdowns for another all american kicker.

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1

Joshua Rowland , another Texas Longhorn, is a grad transfer available.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Perhaps we should move on that.

cjd1
          Ute Fan
          @cjd1

After doing some more research he is not that great of a kicker. Oh well.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Perhaps we should not move on that.

belli1976
        Ute Fan
        @belli1976

He was a backup to a guy that went 18-25. Probably still an upgrade from where are now though.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Good thing for him. Bad for Utah but could have been worst possibly if Utah depended on him. Overall bad outcome that needs to be fixed and feels incredibly ironic.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

after thinking on this, I wouldn’t be surprised if he left knowing that there was someone else that was for sure better than him. I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches have been looking for outside help for the last few weeks at least.

cicampbe
      Ute Fan
      @cicampbe

Time to check with the Ski Team.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

…and soccer team? My friend’s son is pretty good, but he has already signed with Northern Alabama.
        Samuel Contorno

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Sounds like Johnston was a head case and this is a way to save face before facing a crowd at RES. We were in desperate need of a kicker who could make field goals two weeks ago, so this doesn’t really change anything. 

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

Crazy to think what might have been for him had he made that first kick in the first game of the season a few years ago. He may not have made that announcement had he simply made that kick.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Well I would think he’s a head case either way, so maybe better he missed.  But how messed up is it to wait in the wings this long, then when you get your chance to start, you bail?

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Hopefully this was an amicable force out and Whitt has someone better coming. I’m not too worried yet whit has a way of pulling kickers out of his hat…

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I’m just as worried as everyone else about the kicking game. But I have to wonder (and hope) if during his exit interview after spring ball, that Whitt told him they were going to go in another direction. If that’s the case maybe it’s not as bleak as it seems right now. This is all speculation but I can hope right?

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Johnston leaving